Last month, Cuban democracy leaders from throughout the island gathered in Havana to create a consensus of immediate demands.
They converged upon four simple points:
1. The release of political prisoners;
2. The end of political repression;
3. The ratification of International Covenants on Human Rights; and
4. The recognition of Cuban civil society within the island and the diaspora.
This week, a delegation of democracy leaders visited Warsaw and met with Polish government officials to discuss their plight and the European Union's relations with Cuba.
See the images below.
It's hard not to be impressed by the youth, diversity and dynamism of these Cuban democracy leaders.
They include former political prisoner Jorge Luis Garcia Perez "Antunez", intellectual Antonio Rodiles, blogger Yoani Sanchez, journalist Roberto de Jesus Guerra, attorney Yaremis Flores, Baptist pastor Mario Felix Lleonart and Catholic scholar Dagoberto Valdes.
Why is Castro's regime so afraid to meet face-to-face (in the same manner as below) with these Cuban democracy leaders?
Instead, it resorts to harassing, beating and imprisoning them.
Shamefully, The New York Times, along with Castro's lobbyists and propagandist, are working diligently for the U.S. to unilaterally and unconditionally normalize relations and invest billions in Cuba's brutal dictatorship.
However, the United States and the European Union must continue conditioning any improvement in relations with Castro's regime upon the fulfillment of these fundamental demands by Cuba's democrats.
Such a principled stance is the best investment in Cuba's future.
at 11:56 AM Thursday, October 23, 2014
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
10/19 - 10/26
- Why is Dilma Hiding Business Deals With Cuba?
- Image: Arms Trafficking from Cuba's Port of Mariel...
- Heated Cuba Exchange in Brazil's Presidential Deba...
- Must-Read: Are Cuba and Brazil Partners in Human T...
- Foreign Policy: Cuba Leads Diplomatic Offensive to...
- Tweet of the Week: An Editorial That Won't Please ...
- Cuba's Democracy Movement Converges, Deserves U.S....
- Tweet of the Day: NYT's Wishful Thinking, Castro's...
- Must-Read: Naïve New York Times Comes to Aid of Cu...
- Hotels Magazine: Cuban Military is Latin America's...
- Rubio to Kerry: U.S. Must Defend Summit's Democrac...
- Are Cuba's Political Prisoners Not Newsworthy?
- Washington Post: Cuba Should Not be Rewarded for I...
- Quote of the Day: On Congressional Support for Cub...
- Implications of Ending the Cuban Embargo
- Is Cuba Sending Unqualified Health Workers to West...
- Full Disclosure on Columbia's Cuba Conference
- Falling Oil Prices Pressure Venezuela (Cuba)
- ▼ 10/19 - 10/26 (18)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)