In a column in Cuban state media, dictator Fidel Castro gave a glowing endorsement of this week's New York Times editorial.
And why wouldn't he?
The editorial calls for the U.S. to unilaterally lift sanctions and hand billions of dollars in trade, tourism and investment to Castro's monopolies.
Moreover, it calls for the U.S. to unconditionally normalize relations with Castro's brutal, totalitarian dictatorship.
And what does Castro have to do in return for all of this generosity?
In a particularly emotional moment (apparently overwhelmed by all this generosity), Castro gushes in the column about his old friend and propagandist, former NYT reporter Herbert Matthews.
To add insult to injury, the NYT's naive (or perhaps embarrassed) editorial writer, Ernesto Londoño, finds it remarkable that Castro cut and paste the entire editorial -- "for one main reason: by quoting nearly every paragraph in the editorial, he amplified the reach of an article that included significant criticism of the Cuban government."
No, Mr. Londoño, Castro cut and paste your entire editorial precisely because it did not include significant criticism of the Cuban government.
To the contrary, as we've previously noted (click here), the NYT's editorial shamefully omitted Cuba's reality and minimized Castro's repression.
Adding to Castro's praise of the NYT's editorial today were Rev. Jesse Jackson and Chavez/Maduro propagandist Eva Golinger.
That's quite a fan club.
at 8:21 AM Wednesday, October 15, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
10/12 - 10/19
- Must-Read: Raul Castro's Desperate Offensive
- Lobbying for Sanctioned Countries
- Cuba and North Korea Expand Commercial Ties
- Quote of the Day: Will Congress Lift the Cuban Emb...
- Caracas 181, Kerry 0
- Cuba: Baptist Pastor Threatened With Criminal Char...
- Cuba's "Pijamas Plan"
- Chairman Menendez Responds to The New York Times' ...
- While New York Times Lauds Castro, Four Political ...
- Cuban Prison Labor, Foreign Investors and Castro's...
- Fidel Castro Glowingly Endorses The New York Times...
- Must-Read: Responding to The New York Times' Cuba ...
- Cuba in Brazil's Presidential Debate
- The (Real) Hidden History of "Back Channel to Cuba...
- Image of the Week: Honoring The Ladies in White's ...
- Contradictions, Misrepresentations and Omissions: ...
- Herbert Matthews’ Ghost
- Cuba Doesn’t Deserve Normal Diplomatic Relations
- Castros Are Responsible for Cuba’s Failures, Not t...
- No Legitimacy for Cuba's Dictators
- ▼ 10/12 - 10/19 (20)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)