From the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Editorial Board:
U.N. Watch: A diminished U.S.
As Venezuela easily claims its prize — a temporary seat on the United Nations Security Council — the Obama administration remains as disengaged as ever.
“Unfortunately Venezuela's conduct at the U.N. has run counter to the spirit of the U.N. Charter and its violations of human rights at home are at odds with the charter's letter,” remarked U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power. In other words, “Oh, well.”
Even the U.N.'s own Working Group on Arbitrary Detentions was more convincing when it slammed Venezuela for imprisoning government protesters. Venezuela's relentless crackdown has led to more than 40 deaths and thousands of unlawful arrests, reports The Daily Signal.
And never mind Venezuela's extensive ties to Cuba. No doubt Venezuela will be Raul Castro's puppet on the Security Council.
With good reason, the United States worked diligently to block Venezuela's Security Council nomination in 2006 after 47 rounds of voting. Venezuela was blocked again in 2008.
Where was the U.S. outcry this time?
“(T)he geopolitics of 2014 are far worse than they were in 2008, and the U.S. does not have the diplomatic clout it once had,” write Ana Quintana and Brett Schaefer for The Signal.
That's clearly evidenced as the United States meekly shrugs and returns to business as usual at Turtle Bay.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
10/26 - 11/02
- More Uneducated Attacks from The New York Times
- Cuba's "Medical Diplomacy" is Commercial, Not Huma...
- Must-Read: Revelation by Cuban Democracy Leader Gu...
- Quote of the Day: On U.S. Official at ALBA Meeting...
- Rodiles: We Must Accept Nothing Less Than Fundamen...
- Dr. Biscet: First Freedoms for the Cuban People, T...
- Must-Read: Armenian-Canadian Businessmen Lose Mill...
- On U.N. General Assembly's Vote Against Cuba Sanct...
- Quote of the Day: In Opposition to U.N. General As...
- U.S. Must Continue Challenging Tyrants
- How to Relegate Human Rights and Democracy in U.S....
- Quote of the Day: Oppressors Should Not be Rewarde...
- Rosa Maria Paya: No Rewarding the Cuban Regime
- Castro Must be Held Responsible for Gross' Continu...
- The Miami Herald's Editorial Board: Cuba Hasn't Ea...
- Desperate and Shameless: The New York Times' Lates...
- ▼ 10/26 - 11/02 (16)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)