Last week, U.S. Senator Tom Udall (D-NM) returned from Havana advocating "business ties" with Castro's monopolies.
Ironically, in the two-years that he served as Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Western Hemisphere Subcommittee, Udall held only one hearing on the region -- in June 2013 on U.S.-Mexico Security Cooperation.
Meanwhile, Udall's trip to Cuba was the first (and last) official trip he's taken to the region as Western Hemisphere Subcommittee Chairman.
During this three-day trip to Cuba, Udall (to his credit) spent two-hours meeting with Castro's American hostage, Alan Gross.
Kudos for that.
However, the remaining 70 hours of the trip were spent visiting Castro regime officials. And, of course, he completely disregarded Cuba's courageous democracy movement.
Upon his return, Udall stated in a press release:
"New Mexicans are anxious to meet and work with Cubans, and the time is right to rebuild business and cultural ties between the United States and Cuba."
Of course, he "forgot" to mention that all foreign trade with Cuba must be conducted through Castro's monopolies.
So why didn't Udall explore -- on behalf of "anxious New Mexicans" -- business ties with Chile, Colombia, Peru, Panama or any of the other 33 democracies in the region, during his tenure as Western Hemisphere Subcommittee Chairman?
A look at Udall's voting record provides some clues.
NO on trade with Peru.
NO on trade with Central America.
NO on trade with the Dominican Republic.
NO on trade with Chile.
NO on trade with Colombia.
NO on trade with Panama.
YES on trade with Cuba.
That pretty much sums it up.
at 7:36 PM Tuesday, November 18, 2014
- ► 2016 (660)
- ► 2015 (1080)
11/16 - 11/23
- Cuban Doctors Yearning to Breathe Freely
- Is Cuba Shilling for North Korea in the Congo?
- Cuba Renews Support for Iran's Nuclear Program
- Obama Firm on Cuba Policy, Says Senior Advisor
- Weekend Listening: NPR's Cuba Policy Debate
- Cuba: Open Hands, Clenched Fist
- Quote of the Day: Let Alan Gross Go!
- The Countless Victims of Cuba's Wall
- Tweet of the Day: Sovereignty Doesn't Trump Human ...
- Senior Administration Official: Democratic Reforms...
- Sun-Sentinel: New York Times Wrong to Lobby Agains...
- Tweet of the Day: Cuba's U.N. Support for North Ko...
- Senator Tom Udall: Trade With Dictatorship, Not De...
- Cuba Dissidents on the U.S. Embargo
- The New York Times' Brain Drain (Contradiction) on...
- Tourists Celebrate Apartheid in Cuba
- Cuba Exports Repression Throughout the Americas
- ▼ 11/16 - 11/23 (17)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)