While Ernesto Londoño, the new young editorial writer for The New York Times, currently receives a "hero's welcome" in Cuba, the news section of the paper has a story about the NYT's relationship with Fidel Castro.
It reminds us about the last NYT journalist that traveled throughout Cuba and wrote numerous contradictions, misrepresentations and omissions in his stories.
That journalist, Herbert Matthews, also took it upon himself to pick "winners and losers" and provided loads of misinformation, such as:
“The only power worth considering in Cuba is in the hands of Premier Castro, who is not only not Communist but decidedly anti-Communist, even though he does not consider it desirable in the present circumstances to attack or destroy the Reds — as he is in a position to do any time he wants.” (“Cuba Has a One-Man Rule and It Is Called Non-Red.”).
Matthews' irresponsible reporting had terrible consequences for the Cuban people.
A history the NYT appears keen on repeating.
Image below: Castro visits the NYT newsroom in 1995.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
11/30 - 12/07
- For the Record: What Cuba's Independent Journalist...
- Political Arrests Have Quadrupled in Cuba
- Internet Freedom: Cuba Ranks Last in Americas, Fou...
- Landmine Report: Cuba Remains Among World's Few (R...
- New York Times Writer Gets Earful From Cuban Dissi...
- Quote of the Day: Justice on Its Knees in Venezuel...
- Congressman-Elect Curbelo Remarks to U.S.-Cuba Dem...
- Lt. Governor Lopez-Cantera Remarks to U.S.-Cuba De...
- Tweet of the Day: Five Years Ago Today
- Chairwoman Mikulski Renews Call for Alan Gross' Re...
- Governor Jeb Bush Remarks to U.S.-Cuba Democracy P...
- Chairman Menendez Remarks to U.S.-Cuba Democracy P...
- Senator Rubio Remarks to U.S.-Cuba Democracy PAC
- MH Editorial Board: "Let Alan Gross Go Now!"
- White House Statement on Anniversary of Alan Gross...
- State Department on Alan Gross' Continued Imprison...
- State Department: No Equivalence Between Gross and...
- A Poor "Excuse"
- In the Mold of Harry Truman
- Quote of the Day: Cuba Should be Penalized for Gro...
- "People-to-People" Trips Are Insulting
- A Timely Reminder in The New York Times
- Quote of the Week: On Alan Gross' Efforts in Cuba
- Young Cuban Rafter Repatriated to a Certain Death
- Video: Protest at Funeral of Repatriated Young Cub...
- ▼ 11/30 - 12/07 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)