Chairman Menendez Applauds Passage of Venezuela Defense of Human Rights and Civil Society Act
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and author of the bipartisan Venezuela Defense of Human Rights and Civil Society Act, issued this statement following the bill’s passage in the U.S. Senate.
“Today, the United States Senate sent a clear and unequivocal message to the Government of Venezuela. For too long, Venezuelans have faced state-sponsored violence at the hands of government security forces and watched their country’s judiciary become a tool of political repression. Venezuelan leaders like Leopoldo Lopez and Maria Corina Machado have become the target of vicious government-led campaigns that seek to silence them for speaking out in defense of democracy and the rule of law. We in the United States have an obligation to shine a bright spotlight on Venezuela’s abuses and must object to the severe human rights violations committed by the Maduro government and his paramilitary thugs.
Targeted sanctions to include asset-freezes and additional visa bans against the individuals involved in this violence are a necessary and long overdue response. We must always stand against human rights violations, political persecution and recrimination anywhere in the world, and certainly in our hemisphere. The Venezuelan people deserve a brighter future, not the dismal nightmare they’re enduring at the hands of President Maduro. Our fight to deliver hope and renewed opportunity to Venezuela has only begun.”
- ► 2016 (660)
- ► 2015 (1080)
12/07 - 12/14
- Final Tally: 240 Dissidents Arrested in Cuba Durin...
- Tweet of the Day: Venezuela's Rights Violators
- Ortega Bans Rubio and Ros-Lehtinen from Nicaragua
- Must-Watch: On Senate Floor, Rubio Talks Cuba, Sum...
- The AP's Latest Attack: On Cuba's Independent Rapp...
- Quote of the Day: Cuban Rapper Disputes AP Story
- Rubio Opposes Blinken Nomination Over Cuba Policy
- On the President's Desk: Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- On Human Rights Day: Dozens of Dissidents Arrested...
- Powerful Images: Cuban Dissidents Arrested on Huma...
- Quote of the Day: Cuba Will be Free Very Soon
- Cuba’s Dissidents Have a Bone to Pick with the New...
- Cuba Suspends Talks With European Union
- Must-Read: The Dark Side of Cuba’s Ebola Economy
- On the House Floor: Cuba Remarks by U.S. Rep. Ros-...
- Don't "Gruberize" With Cuba Policy
- Menendez Statement on Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- Rubio Statement on Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- Senate Passes Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- Pictures Show The New York Times' Cuba Double-Stan...
- No Ideology for Vile Dictators
- Cuban Dissident Leader to NYT: It's Not Time to Li...
- Must-Read: The Sole Impediment to Internet Connect...
- Disingenuous FIU Pollster Presents at Pro-Castro S...
- Quote of the Day: Congressman-Elect Curbelo's Vict...
- ▼ 12/07 - 12/14 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)