U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) has given a wide-ranging foreign policy speech on the Senate floor, in which he discussed Cuba, the Summit of the Americas, Deputy Secretary of State nominee Tony Blinken and Venezuela.
In January, Senator Rubio is slated to become Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee's Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere.
Here are some major takeaways:
On Cuba: "I will fight with every marrow in my bones against any sort of unilateral change to U.S. policy toward Cuba."
On the Summit of the Americas: "The Summit of the Americas is a forum for democracies, not for 20th century relics like the Cuban government."
On Blinken: "I will use every procedural method available to me to ensure that this Senate will have to take as long as possible to confirm him."
On Venezuela: "I predict in the year 2015, we are going to see severe human rights violations, severe repression, on the part of the Maduro government and all of the impact that's going to have on the region. And I hope we are ready to confront that."
Watch the whole speech below (or click here to watch the Western Hemisphere portion, which begins at 27:09):
at 3:58 PM Friday, December 12, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
12/07 - 12/14
- Final Tally: 240 Dissidents Arrested in Cuba Durin...
- Tweet of the Day: Venezuela's Rights Violators
- Ortega Bans Rubio and Ros-Lehtinen from Nicaragua
- Must-Watch: On Senate Floor, Rubio Talks Cuba, Sum...
- The AP's Latest Attack: On Cuba's Independent Rapp...
- Quote of the Day: Cuban Rapper Disputes AP Story
- Rubio Opposes Blinken Nomination Over Cuba Policy
- On the President's Desk: Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- On Human Rights Day: Dozens of Dissidents Arrested...
- Powerful Images: Cuban Dissidents Arrested on Huma...
- Quote of the Day: Cuba Will be Free Very Soon
- Cuba’s Dissidents Have a Bone to Pick with the New...
- Cuba Suspends Talks With European Union
- Must-Read: The Dark Side of Cuba’s Ebola Economy
- On the House Floor: Cuba Remarks by U.S. Rep. Ros-...
- Don't "Gruberize" With Cuba Policy
- Menendez Statement on Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- Rubio Statement on Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- Senate Passes Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- Pictures Show The New York Times' Cuba Double-Stan...
- No Ideology for Vile Dictators
- Cuban Dissident Leader to NYT: It's Not Time to Li...
- Must-Read: The Sole Impediment to Internet Connect...
- Disingenuous FIU Pollster Presents at Pro-Castro S...
- Quote of the Day: Congressman-Elect Curbelo's Vict...
- ▼ 12/07 - 12/14 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)