Editor's Note: These 32 arrests were in Havana alone. Nearly 70 members of the Ladies in White were arrested throughout Cuba.
Cuba police arrest 32 during rights protest
Police in Havana arrested at least 32 people Wednesday at a demonstration marking Human Rights Day, AFP reporters on the scene observed.
Among those detained were 16 members of the Ladies in White opposition group made up of the wives and mothers of jailed dissidents.
"Long live human rights! Long live freedom!" the protesters shouted as they were rounded up beginning at around 11 am (1600 GMT) near the historic Habana Libre Hotel in the capital city's Vedado business district.
The UN General Assembly in 1950 declared December 10 to be "Human Rights Day," as a platform to rally for a common standard of humane treatment for all people.
The Havana protesters were met by dozens of pro-government activists who shouted "Long live Fidel!" and "Long live Raul!" in support of President Raul Castro and his revolutionary icon brother Fidel -- his immediate predecessor as the communist island's leader.
It has become customary for Cuban dissidents arrested in periodic sweeps to be released a few hours after being detained.
The Ladies in White, founded in 2003, march with the government's permission every Sunday in the Cuban capital. The group is banned but tolerated by Cuban authorities.
The group in 2005 was awarded the European parliament's prestigious Sakharov Prize honoring groups or individuals who have dedicated their lives to defending freedom of thought and human rights.
at 12:17 AM Thursday, December 11, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
12/07 - 12/14
- Final Tally: 240 Dissidents Arrested in Cuba Durin...
- Tweet of the Day: Venezuela's Rights Violators
- Ortega Bans Rubio and Ros-Lehtinen from Nicaragua
- Must-Watch: On Senate Floor, Rubio Talks Cuba, Sum...
- The AP's Latest Attack: On Cuba's Independent Rapp...
- Quote of the Day: Cuban Rapper Disputes AP Story
- Rubio Opposes Blinken Nomination Over Cuba Policy
- On the President's Desk: Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- On Human Rights Day: Dozens of Dissidents Arrested...
- Powerful Images: Cuban Dissidents Arrested on Huma...
- Quote of the Day: Cuba Will be Free Very Soon
- Cuba’s Dissidents Have a Bone to Pick with the New...
- Cuba Suspends Talks With European Union
- Must-Read: The Dark Side of Cuba’s Ebola Economy
- On the House Floor: Cuba Remarks by U.S. Rep. Ros-...
- Don't "Gruberize" With Cuba Policy
- Menendez Statement on Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- Rubio Statement on Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- Senate Passes Venezuela Sanctions Bill
- Pictures Show The New York Times' Cuba Double-Stan...
- No Ideology for Vile Dictators
- Cuban Dissident Leader to NYT: It's Not Time to Li...
- Must-Read: The Sole Impediment to Internet Connect...
- Disingenuous FIU Pollster Presents at Pro-Castro S...
- Quote of the Day: Congressman-Elect Curbelo's Vict...
- ▼ 12/07 - 12/14 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)