From North Jersey's The Record:
Letter to President Obama urges return of cop-killer Joanne Chesimard from Cuba
President Obama should make the extradition of Joanne Chesimard from Cuba “an immediate priority,” Rep. Scott Garrett and four House colleagues said in a letter to Obama released Monday.
Chesimard escaped from a New Jersey prison in 1979 after serving two years of a life sentence for the 1978 murder of New Jersey State Trooper Werner Foerster during a traffic stop on the New Jersey Turnpike. She is believed to have moved to Cuba in 1984 and was granted asylum.
The letter to Obama circulated by Garrett was also signed by Reps. Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-Harding; Frank LoBiondo, R-Ventnor; Frank Pallone, D-Long Branch and Bill Pascrell Jr., D-Paterson.
Governor Christie made a similar request in a letter released Dec. 18, a day after the White House announced plans to ease relations with Cuba.
On Dec. 17, several other members of the state's delegation in Congress also called for Chesimard's return, including Sen. Bob Menendez, D-Paramus, Reps. Chris Smith, R-Robbinsville, and Albio Sires, D-West New York, and Frelinghuysen.
The Cuban government on Dec. 22 said it has the right to grant asylum to U.S. fugitives, a sign it did not intend to release Chesimard, The Associated Press reported.
at 12:13 AM Tuesday, January 13, 2015
- ► 2016 (694)
01/11 - 01/18
- Cuban Dissidents From Obama-Castro's List of 53 Re...
- Western Hemisphere Chair: Obama's Policy a Reward ...
- Obama Should Help Cubans, Not Castro
- Video: Menendez Floor Remarks on U.S.-Cuba Policy
- Quote of the Day: On Cuban Prisoner Re-Arrests
- Statement on Obama's New Cuba Regulations
- Castro Re-Arrests Cuban Dissidents From the List o...
- Tweet of the Day: The Clear Beneficiary of Obama's...
- Senators Question Legality of Cuba Regulatory Chan...
- Quote of the Day: Cuba is Not Dubai
- Must-Read: Senator Menendez Floor Remarks on U.S.-...
- Why is the Obama Administration Being Dishonest Ab...
- Rubio Presses Obama for Answers on Cuban Prisoner'...
- WSJ: The U.S.-Cuba Deal Heightens the Spy Threat
- When Will Cuba's Remaining Political Prisoners be ...
- Bipartisan New Jersey Congressional Delegation: Re...
- While Obama Celebrates Releases, More Cuban Dissid...
- Shunning Cuba's Dissidents
- Obama Gives Cuba a Hemispheric Coup
- Tweet of the Day: Evidence of Abuse by the Cuban A...
- Quote of the Day: Not Free, Until Cuba is Free
- Tampa Lawyer Killed in Cuba, Secrecy Ensues
- Obama Has Created a Dangerous Precedent in Cuba
- Quote of the Day: Cuba's "Conditional" Releases
- An Important Role for Radio and TV Marti in Cuba
- The Cuba Deal: Coexisting And Profiting With Tyran...
- ▼ 01/11 - 01/18 (26)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)