And as typically occurs with such crimes in Cuba, it will now be shrouded in secrecy.
From Tampa Bay Times:
Tampa lawyer killed in Cuba
Alberto Romero, a Tampa lawyer, was killed in Cuba while visiting family last week, a family spokesman said.
Hal Flowers, a close family friend, said the family received the news late Friday and has very little information.
"The family of Alberto Romero is privately grieving the loss of their loved one as more details are being sought and the circumstances of this tragedy are being investigated," a written statement from the family said. "At this profoundly sad time, the Romero family respectfully requests privacy as they surround themselves with family, loved ones and close friends."
It was unclear if Romero was killed Thursday night or Friday morning.
Flowers said the family has limited information about the circumstances of Romero's death, but has been working with U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor's office. Castor, D-Tampa is trying to help secure the return of Romero's body so his family can plan a memorial service.
Romero, 39, received his law degree from the University of Illinois College of Law in 2001 and was a marital and family law attorney based in South Tampa.
He started with Gulf Coast Legal Services in 2002, defending indigent victims of domestic violence, according to his website. He then spent several years with the office of Mason Black & Caballero before he opened Alberto Romero PA.
- ► 2016 (694)
01/11 - 01/18
- Cuban Dissidents From Obama-Castro's List of 53 Re...
- Western Hemisphere Chair: Obama's Policy a Reward ...
- Obama Should Help Cubans, Not Castro
- Video: Menendez Floor Remarks on U.S.-Cuba Policy
- Quote of the Day: On Cuban Prisoner Re-Arrests
- Statement on Obama's New Cuba Regulations
- Castro Re-Arrests Cuban Dissidents From the List o...
- Tweet of the Day: The Clear Beneficiary of Obama's...
- Senators Question Legality of Cuba Regulatory Chan...
- Quote of the Day: Cuba is Not Dubai
- Must-Read: Senator Menendez Floor Remarks on U.S.-...
- Why is the Obama Administration Being Dishonest Ab...
- Rubio Presses Obama for Answers on Cuban Prisoner'...
- WSJ: The U.S.-Cuba Deal Heightens the Spy Threat
- When Will Cuba's Remaining Political Prisoners be ...
- Bipartisan New Jersey Congressional Delegation: Re...
- While Obama Celebrates Releases, More Cuban Dissid...
- Shunning Cuba's Dissidents
- Obama Gives Cuba a Hemispheric Coup
- Tweet of the Day: Evidence of Abuse by the Cuban A...
- Quote of the Day: Not Free, Until Cuba is Free
- Tampa Lawyer Killed in Cuba, Secrecy Ensues
- Obama Has Created a Dangerous Precedent in Cuba
- Quote of the Day: Cuba's "Conditional" Releases
- An Important Role for Radio and TV Marti in Cuba
- The Cuba Deal: Coexisting And Profiting With Tyran...
- ▼ 01/11 - 01/18 (26)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)