During a meeting with his counterparts from Canada and Mexico this weekend, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was jubilant about the "enormous interest" these nations showed in the Obama Administration's new Cuba policy.
Both nations praised the Obama Administration for seeking to follow their lead -- in other words, "leading from behind" -- in decades of financing Castro's repressive dictatorship.
Canada is Cuba's biggest source of tourists, with 1.1 million traveling last year and staying at the Cuban military's all-inclusive beach resorts. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Canada generously turned tourism into one of Castro's biggest sources of revenue.
Meanwhile, Mexico has been a historic political ally of the Castro dictatorship. Last year, the Pena Nieto government forgave 70% of Castro's $500 million debt to Mexico. Debt forgiveness financed by the impoverished people of Mexico.
All while turning a blind-eye to Cuba's repressive realities, of course.
Yet, apparently, the Obama Administration finds this to be a "successful" alternative.
It's more like a shameful alternative.
- ► 2016 (694)
02/01 - 02/08
- More Questions Than Answers at Cuba Hearings
- With April Summit Looming, Castro Accelerates Coer...
- Crony Capitalism and Cuba's Marxist Generals
- Should Ex-Im Finance Exports to Cuba?
- Listen to Cuba's Civil Society Leaders
- Video: Cuban Dissidents Protest at National Assemb...
- Dissidents Arrested for Protest Near Cuban Nationa...
- Must-Watch: State Lied to the Families of American...
- Chairman Royce: Obama Gives Cuban Regime New Lease...
- South FL State Legislators and Officials Write Oba...
- Cuba: Artist Awaits Decision on Charges
- Code Pink Supports Obama's Cuba Policy
- Agribusiness Should Come Clean About 'Trade' With ...
- Berta Soler: In the Name of the Victims of Cuba's ...
- Rosa Maria Paya: Don't Turn Your Backs on Cubans A...
- Tweet of the Day: State Official "Unaware" of Cuba...
- This Week: Three Cuba Hearings on Capitol Hill
- Rubio Op-Ed in CNN: Cuba Taking Advantage of U.S.
- Quote of the Day: Obama's Bad Negotiations
- Russia Plans Joint Military Drills With North Kore...
- Canada Thrilled Obama Likes Its Failed Cuba Policy...
- Obama Should Focus on Internet, Not Tourists in Cu...
- What Business in Cuba Looks Like
- On Obama's Cuba Deal: Not In Our Name
- ▼ 02/01 - 02/08 (24)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)