Cuba, Russia vow to further boost military cooperation
Cuban President Raul Castro held talks here Friday with visiting Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu, with both sides expressing readiness to further strengthening military-technical cooperation between their two countries.
During the talks, Castro and Shoigu reviewed "the historical ties linking the two nations and ratified the willingness to continue strengthening the collaboration bonds," according to a press release issued by the Cuban government.
Besides the Russian delegation led by Shoigu, the talks were also attended by Cuban Defense Minister Leopoldo Cintra Frias and senior officers of the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces.
Shoigu started the official visit to Cuba on Friday. Before the talks, Shoigu laid a wreath at the Cacahual Mausoleum outside Havana holding the remains of the independence war hero Antonio Maceo (1845-1896).
It is Shoigu's first visit to Cuba since his appointment as the defense chief by President Vladimir Putin. His agenda also includes visit to military units, according to local media.
- ► 2016 (694)
02/08 - 02/15
- Will Senator McCaskill Visit Cuban Dissident Nearl...
- Image: Cuban Dissident Nearly Beaten to Death
- Cuba, Russia to Boost Military Cooperation
- How Does Fortifying Cuba's Regime Promote Democrac...
- Chairman Goodlatte & Ros-Lehtinen: Why Did Obama H...
- AEI: Obama’s Gambit Misunderstands Cuban Reality
- Tweet for Freedom: Three (Artist) Prisoners of Cas...
- Is Obama's Policy to "Empower" or Insult the Cuban...
- During Senate Hearing on Human Trafficking, Cuba C...
- Obama's Muddied Cuba Policy
- The New Cuba Policy: Breakthrough or Bailout?
- For Terror Victims, Obama's Cuba Deal Revives Pain...
- As Normalization Talks Continue, So Do Cuban Spy B...
- Groups, States Supported by Cuba Continue to Sprea...
- Communists With Swiss Bank Accounts
- State Department Official Clearly Unprepared to Le...
- Tweet of the Day: Netflix for the Castro Family
- Analyzing Obama’s Cuba Policy
- So How’s That Cuba Deal Going?
- Quote of the Week: Commerce With Cuba Does Not Ben...
- How Much Has Cuba's Regime Cost the World?
- Ex-Political Prisoner Warns Congress of U.S.-Cuba ...
- Young Cuban-American CT State Senator Discusses Cu...
- ▼ 02/08 - 02/15 (23)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)