Less than three years ago, The New York Times wrote an article praising the Castro regime's "Tight Grip on AIDS" -- even if it meant restricting the Cuban people's most fundamental human rights.
"Whatever debate may linger about the government’s harsh early tactics — until 1993, everyone who tested positive for H.I.V. was forced into quarantine — there is no question that they succeeded... Other elements have contributed to Cuba’s success: It has free universal basic health care; it has stunningly high rates of H.I.V. testing; it saturates its population with free condoms, concentrating on high-risk groups like prostitutes; it gives its teenagers graphic safe-sex education; it rigorously traces the sexual contacts of each person who tests positive."
These "quarantines" were actually nefarious HIV/AIDS prisons. Or as the Castro-friendly World Health Organization ("WHO") calls them "pretty prisons."
Like nearly everything else The New York Times has written about Cuba since 1959, that article turned out to be unmerited -- and unethical -- propaganda.
Last week, we learned that a new, more aggressive strain of the HIV virus has been discovered in Cuba.
According to Medical News Today:
"In Cuba, a variant of HIV that is much more aggressive than other known forms of the virus has been documented. Patients infected with this new variant progress to AIDS so rapidly that they may not even know they are infected, with AIDS symptoms occurring within 3 years of infection."
And how did this new strain come about?
"If a person contracts multiple strains of HIV - typically by engaging in unprotected sex with multiple infected partners - then these strains can recombine into a new variant of HIV within the host. The new Cuban variant of HIV is one such recombinant version of the virus."
Clearly those "harsh early tactics" were not only cruel and inhumane -- but they were also unsuccessful.
at 4:33 PM Monday, February 16, 2015
- ► 2016 (694)
02/15 - 02/22
- Why Pelosi Didn't Meet With Any Cuban Dissidents
- As Predicted, Obama's Cuba Policy Also Emboldens V...
- Maduro Visited Cuba Tuesday, Intensified Crackdown...
- Pelosi's Twice-Confiscated Hotel Choice in Cuba Sa...
- Obama's Congressional Allies in Cuba: Freedom is N...
- Amid Netflix's Publicity Stunt, Young Cuban Gets 3...
- Tweet of the Day: Cuba is Not the Butt of a Joke
- From Propaganda to Reality: When The New York Time...
- Over 65 Cuban Dissidents Arrested Today
- Russia Praises Cuba for Opening Ports to Spy Ships...
- Image of an Artistic "Crime" in Cuba
- ▼ 02/15 - 02/22 (11)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)