From The Washington Free Beacon:
Majority Oppose Obama’s Cuba Reset When Informed of Rights Abuses
A majority of Americans oppose President Barack Obama’s normalization of relations with Cuba when they are informed of reports of continued weapons smuggling and human rights abuses by Raul Castro’s regime, according to a new poll.
In a survey released on Monday by Inter-American Security Watch, a majority of Americans—51 percent to 38 percent—said they initially favored Obama’s efforts to restore ties with Cuba and lift travel and financial restrictions. However, those numbers reversed when the respondents were informed of the latest actions by the Castro regime.
Columbian authorities halted a Chinese ship en route to Cuba earlier this month after discovering illegal explosives and other arms in its cargo, which was supposed to only contain grain. That followed an attempt by a North Korean ship in 2013 to smuggle 240 tons of Cuban weapons concealed under bags of sugar. After being told about the illicit arms shipments, 63 percent of American voters said they opposed removing U.S. sanctions on Cuba.
Cuba also continues to harbor dozens of U.S. fugitives accused of committing murder and acts of terrorism. When informed of Cuba’s practice of offering asylum to Americans wanted for murder and terrorism, 63 percent said they were against removing sanctions, and 68 percent supported keeping the Castro regime on the U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism.
Overall, 64 percent of Americans said sanctions should remain in place until the Cuban government frees all political prisoners and stages multi-party elections. The Castro regime subjected dissidents to nearly 9,000 short-term detentions last year, a sharp increase compared with recent years.
OnMessage Inc. conducted the poll among 700 likely voters with an oversample of 300 likely Cuban American voters. The margin of error was plus or minus 3.7 percent.
at 9:51 AM Tuesday, March 31, 2015
- ► 2016 (596)
03/29 - 04/05
- Over 610 Political Arrests in March
- Amnesty International Names New Cuban Prisoner of ...
- What This Week's U.S.-Cuba Human Rights "Talks" Lo...
- Commerce Should Play No Role in Cuba's Terrorism D...
- Tweet of the Day: Cuba is a Military Dictatorship
- Antunez and Other Cuban Democracy Leaders Remain M...
- Bendixen's April Fools Day Cuba Poll
- As Cuba Distracted U.S. With Rights "Talks", Dissi...
- Quote of the Day: Cuomo's Cuba (Indiana) Hypocrisy...
- Cuba Flips the Script on Obama -- Again
- Tweet of the Day: Every Dictator Wants a Deal With...
- Majority Oppose Obama’s Cuba Reset When Informed o...
- New Poll: Cuba's Hostility and Human Rights Fuel S...
- Nearly 20 Ladies in White Arrested on Palm Sunday
- Quote of the Day: Arresting Those Who Poke Fun of ...
- Tweet of the Day: What is Real Change?
- Released Political Prisoners Oppose Obama's New Cu...
- How Castro Stole From Regular American Families
- Property Stolen From Americans Can't be Overlooked...
- ▼ 03/29 - 04/05 (19)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)