Last month, two European journalists were detained in Cuba after taping a protest in Havana by the opposition group, Cuban Patriotic Union (UNPACU).
The journalists, Jaana Kanninen and Jessica Stolzmann, worked for Finland National TV and Radio (YLE).
On February 3rd, they stumbled upon a protest by UNPACU's Sonia de la Caridad González Mejías and Melkis Faure Hechavarría.
Both activists were standing on a corner yelling "Down with the dictatorship!", "Down with Raul Castro!", "Respect the People!", "We Want Change!" and "Respect the Opposition!"
Note how the crowds gathered around them in curiosity and solidarity. Then, minutes later, state security arrived on the scene telling people to scream "Viva Fidel!"
The European journalists began taping the protest -- and were consequently arrested and expelled.
Needless to say, the two UNPACU activists were also arrested.
Click below (or here) to watch the protest:
- ► 2016 (694)
03/22 - 03/29
- Iran's Love Affair With Castro's Cuba
- Obama's Cuba Folly Unfolds
- Rubio: Trade With Cuba is "Trafficking in Stolen G...
- N.Y. Post: Havana’s Gruesome Guests
- Lawmakers: Oppose Funding for Normalization Until ...
- Quote of the Day: A Divided Europe on Cuba
- Russian Spy Ship Returns to Cuba (to Monitor EU Ta...
- Coming Out of the Closet for Castro Inc.
- Florida Senate Overwhelmingly Opposes Obama's Cuba...
- How Obama Cut a Cuba Deal: Lies, Hypocrisy and Sec...
- Russian Foreign Minister Arrives in Cuba Today
- Raul Castro, You Fear Being Unmasked
- Tweet of the Day: Only One Nation Has Invaded Vene...
- First-Hand Look: How Obama's Cuba Policy Will (Sad...
- Cuba’s Human Rights Wane as U.S. Ties Improve
- Must-Watch: Women Lead Pro-Democracy Protest in Ha...
- Quote of the Day: On Russia's Strategic Relations ...
- An Illusory Opening to Cuba: Why Florida Shouldn’t...
- ▼ 03/22 - 03/29 (18)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)