North Korea, Cuba in 'same trench' against US: minister
North Korea and Cuba share the same struggle against US aggression, Pyongyang's foreign minister said Monday as Washington and Havana held new talks on restoring diplomatic ties.
In a visit to Havana that coincided with the latest round of talks on normalizing US-Cuban relations, North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Su-Yong played up the two communist regimes' history of enmity toward the United States.
North Korea and Cuba "share a history of fighting together in the same trench against American imperialism, which continues to exert economic pressure on our countries to this day," Ri was quoted as saying by Cuba's state-run news agency Prensa Latina.
Ri also "highlighted the excellent relations" between the two communist countries and gave his Cuban counterpart Bruno Rodriguez "a message from leader Kim Jong-Un expressing his wish to broaden and strengthen (relations) even more," said the news agency.
Rodriguez reiterated Cuba's commitment to peacefully reuniting North and South Korea "without foreign interference," Prensa Latina said.
The visit came as US Assistant Secretary of State Roberta Jacobson met her Cuban counterpart Josefina Vidal, Havana's top diplomat for US affairs, for a third round of talks to advance a possible US-Cuban rapprochement announced on December 17.
- ► 2016 (644)
03/15 - 03/22
- How a Canadian Businessman Lost Everything in Cuba...
- Maduro-Ally Gives $1 Million to Clinton Foundation...
- Activists Denounce Political Violence Against Wome...
- Yes, Venezuela (Cuba) is a Security Threat
- More on Hillary's Poor Judgment With Tyrants
- Squaring Cuba's Terror Designation in the Circle o...
- Cuban Military is the Big Winner of Obama's Deal
- Rubio: U.S. Cannot Turn a Blind-Eye to Cuba's Role...
- Raul Castro's Message From Caracas
- Cuba Rubs North Korean Weapons Smuggling in U.S.'s...
- North Korea, Cuba in "Same Trench" Against U.S.
- Obama's Cuba Policy Motivation: Prevent Migration ...
- Cuba Treating Obama Administration Like Pushovers
- N.Y. Post: Cuomo in Cuba
- Obama's Counter-Productive Engagement Policy
- ▼ 03/15 - 03/22 (15)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)