At a press conference this week, General John Kelly, head of the U.S. Southern Command, revealed the motivating force behind the Obama Administration's Cuba policy -- to economically stabilize the regime with the "hope" of preventing a migration crisis.
In other words, stability over freedom and democracy.
From Jimmy Carter (Mariel), through Bill Clinton (1994 Rafters), to now Barack Obama, the threat of a migration crisis has been the Castro regime's coercive "weapon" of choice against U.S. Presidents.
Yet, ironically, since President Obama unconditionally embraced Castro's regime, the number Cubans fleeing has seen a sharp rise of over 100% -- both through the Florida Straits and the Mexican border.
This short-sighted policy motivation fails to understand what the greatest deterrent against Cubans fleeing their homeland would be -- freedom.
Here are General Kelly's remarks:
"The real shame of [the situation in Venezuela] is, of course, they have the second-largest oil reserves in the world. If it -- if it continues to degrade, I'm -- here's where I am concerned. There are many, many countries in Latin America that take virtually free fuel, Petrocaribe, that Chavez and now Maduro provides, Venezuela, Colombia, Jamaica -- not Colombia, Venezuela, Cuba, Haiti, places like that. These small, small countries rely on -- on the oil more or less free. Their economies would, I think, collapse if they didn't get the oil.
So if we see a continued degradation -- you know, right now, I think the inflation rate is 56 percent. That is impossible to sustain that in any economy. So if he starts to -- if they make a decision to stop the flow of relatively or all but free oil to these smaller economies, and those economies fail, then that -- that would have certainly a migration impact, and you know where they're coming, and -- and particularly Cuba. I mean, Cuba is very dependent on the Petrocaribe, as is Nicaragua, and if that was turned off, I think there would be some real repercussions economically. But, again, I'm -- I'm a military guy and -- just a simple military guy trying to do a job. I don't understand the economy -- economic thing very well."
- ► 2016 (607)
03/15 - 03/22
- How a Canadian Businessman Lost Everything in Cuba...
- Maduro-Ally Gives $1 Million to Clinton Foundation...
- Activists Denounce Political Violence Against Wome...
- Yes, Venezuela (Cuba) is a Security Threat
- More on Hillary's Poor Judgment With Tyrants
- Squaring Cuba's Terror Designation in the Circle o...
- Cuban Military is the Big Winner of Obama's Deal
- Rubio: U.S. Cannot Turn a Blind-Eye to Cuba's Role...
- Raul Castro's Message From Caracas
- Cuba Rubs North Korean Weapons Smuggling in U.S.'s...
- North Korea, Cuba in "Same Trench" Against U.S.
- Obama's Cuba Policy Motivation: Prevent Migration ...
- Cuba Treating Obama Administration Like Pushovers
- N.Y. Post: Cuomo in Cuba
- Obama's Counter-Productive Engagement Policy
- ▼ 03/15 - 03/22 (15)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)