You can’t go to Cuba and be apolitical. Traveling there is a political act alone. The brands [Conan O'Brien] joked about at the grocery store were all companies that were appropriated by the Cuban government. That cigar factory he visited was taken from a Cuban family of cigar makers. Cubans cannot afford to eat at paladares because the average Cuban only makes $20 a month, creating an unofficial tourist apartheid where foreigners enjoy Cuba while Cubans endure the regime. The “ruins” that took Conan’s breath away are dilapidated buildings that thousands of people have to live in because they are not free to move out of them without government permission.-- Carmen Pelaez, Cuban-American filmmaker, "Conan’s TV Show Avoided Politics, But For Cubans It’s Not That Easy," Remezcla, 3/6/14
at 10:06 AM Saturday, March 7, 2015
- ► 2016 (694)
03/01 - 03/08
- A "Good Time" in Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: Response to Conan
- Quote of the Day: You Can't Go To Cuba and Be Apol...
- Grains or Weapons for Cuba?
- Rubio to Kerry: Cuba Harbors Terrorists Who Have K...
- Tweet of the Day: No Foreign Interference, Except ...
- Quote of the Day: Standing on the Side of Freedom
- Nearly 500 Political Arrests in February
- Cuba's Illegal Trafficking of Weapons is a Concern...
- Quote of the Day: On Cuba's Refusal to Extradite M...
- Cuba’s Continuous Support for Terrorism
- Cuba Caught Smuggling Weapons (Again)
- Obama is Clearly Out-of-Touch With Cuba's Reality
- Tweet of the Day: #DictatorshipTourism
- Colombia Intercepts Shipment of "War Materiel" Hea...
- Cuba Says It Will Never Return Most-Wanted Terrori...
- Tweet of the Day: Cuban State Journalist Arrested
- Obama in a Pickle Regarding Cuba Terrorism Listing...
- Tweet of the Day: Castro Gloats About Spy Facility...
- More Collateral Damage From Obama's Cuba Policy
- Spain Demands Extradition of ETA Terrorists From C...
- Must-Read: Troubling Truths About Castro's Cuba
- The Cuba Deal: How Raul Castro Duped Obama
- ▼ 03/01 - 03/08 (23)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)