From N.Y. Daily News:
Cuomo boozed with Cuban official who was expelled from U.S. over spying
Gov. Cuomo lunched in Cuba with a government official who was booted from the United States in a spy controversy.
Gustavo Machin Gomez, a Cuban foreign ministry official who sat next to Cuomo during a welcoming lunch Monday and was photographed drinking mojitos with the governor, was expelled from the U.S. in 2002 in retaliation for Cuban efforts to spy on the United States.
The expulsion came after a Defense Department analyst — Ana Belen Montes — was convicted of spying for Cuba.
Cuomo administration officials defended Gomez’s appearance at the lunch, noting he’s been involved in the ongoing talks to normalize relations.
“Given his high profile role in State Department negotiations, it's no surprise that he was one of the half dozen officials chosen by the Cuban government to attend a trade meeting with New York's delegation,” said Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi.
Elliott Abrams, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and a former State Department official, slammed Cuomo’s appearance with Gomez.
“The photos of the governor of New York laughing and toasting with a Cuban spy will demoralize the many Cubans who hope and work bravely for a free Cuba — and who have a right to expect politicians elected by free people in a democratic system to offer solidarity to them and not to their oppressor,” Abrams wrote in a blog post on the council’s website.
- ► 2016 (601)
04/19 - 04/26
- Russia to Keep Supplying Cuba With Modern Weapons
- This Week's Ignored Human Rights Violations
- Quote of the Week: Obama Has Betrayed Us
- N.Y. Daily News: Cuomo Boozed With Cuban Spy
- Florida Ag Commissioner to Congress: Keep the Cuba...
- Giving Obama Cover on Cuban Weapons Shipment
- Governor Scott: Lifting Cuban Embargo Would Help C...
- What Was Wrong With Governor Cuomo's Cuba Trip
- Cuomo's Cuba Deals: Castro Regime 3, "Private Sect...
- Diaz-Balart in Time: Obama’s Cuba Policy Is Enabli...
- Quote of the Day: Pataki on Cuomo's Cuba Trip
- Liberty Before Profit for Cuba
- Cuomo Dines With Cuban Spy Expelled From U.S.
- Cuomo's Castro-Centric Schedule in Cuba
- Young, Cuban-American N.Y. Legislator Slams Cuomo,...
- Cuba: Obama's Next Foreign-Policy Disaster
- Speaker Boehner: House Will Respond to Obama's Cub...
- Young Cuban Murdered for Attempting to Flee the Is...
- Tweet of the Day: On Cuomo's Cuba Jaunt
- Cuomo's Adventure in Cuba Amoral, Offensive
- Over 60 Cuba Dissidents Arrested, No Word From Oba...
- Cuba Still Sponsors Terrorism, Says Man Whose Dad'...
- Tweet of the Day: 1st Country Not to Pay Back IMF ...
- FP: Where Does U.S. Policy Toward Cuba Go From Her...
- ▼ 04/19 - 04/26 (24)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)