In a story encouraging Americans to break the law by engaging in tourism-related transactions with the Castro regime, the AP gives the following example:
"New Yorker Zach Chaltiel, 28, traveled to Havana from the U.S. with some buddies after graduating from law school. He researched the trip online, booked a villa through Airbnb, hired a driver, and filled out a form saying the purpose of his trip was 'support for the Cuban people,' one of the 12 authorized travel categories. 'It’s so easy,' said Chaltiel as he shared drinks with friends at the Hotel Nacional, overlooking the sea as a peacock strutted by. 'I just wanted to go before it becomes all Americanized.'"
Chaltiel is a newly branded lawyer with no regards for the law and an aversion for "Americanized" vacation destinations -- preferring totalitarian dictatorships instead.
But that's not the most insulting part of his irreverence
The "support for the Cuban people" category was created to help the island's courageous democracy movement.
According to the Treasury Department, this category was created to support "the activities of recognized human rights organizations; independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; and individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba."
But Chaltiel (seen below with his buddies) thinks it's cute to use it as a pretext to lie to the authorities and go party with his friends in Havana.
Of course, while they were enjoying drinks at the Castro regime's Hotel Nacional, courageous Cuban democracy activists -- for which the "support for the Cuban people category" was created -- were being brutally beaten and arrested.
It's a mockery to the Cuban people.
And it's the Treasury Department's Constitutionally-mandated obligation to enforce the law.
- ► 2016 (694)
05/24 - 05/31
- On Cuba's Removal From the State-Sponsors of Terro...
- Speaker Boehner: Congress Will Ensure Cuba Sanctio...
- Jeb: Iran's Leaders Are Taking Note of Obama's Cub...
- Rubio Comments On Obama’s Latest Concession To Cas...
- Walker: Obama Reinforces Castro at Expense of Cuba...
- The Dangerous Precedent Set by Obama's Cuba Swap
- Caveat Emptor: Cuban Slave Labor Victims Collect $...
- Cuba's Crackdown Should Make Obama Think Twice
- More and More Arrests in Cuba
- Vatican: Embrace Murderous Dictators, But Gay Marr...
- More Cuban Dissidents Arrested Today
- The Cuban Market Mirage
- Castro 200, Obama 0: While Talks Continue, Beating...
- Let's Have an Honest Cuba Policy Debate
- The Ladies in White: U.S.-Cuba Talks Not Empowerin...
- Mocking the Cuban People (and Breaking U.S. Law)
- Scandal Over "Cuba-Bound" Weapons Unfolds in Colom...
- The Destructive Mentality of the Castros
- Nearly 200 Cuban Dissidents Arrested, Nobody Cares...
- Cuban Regime Must Account for Missing American POW...
- Tweet of the Day: Cuba's Bloody Sundays
- Cuban Rocker Arrested for Demanding Release of Pol...
- Syrian Regime Officials Visit Cuba, Learn From Cas...
- Fixing What Obama Has Broken on Cuba Policy
- ▼ 05/24 - 05/31 (24)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)