During a recent Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for the Western Hemisphere, Roberta Jacobson, acknowledged that Cuba's claim it has "never" supported terrorism was untrue.
Yet, in its "Rescission Memo to Congress" on Cuba's removal from the state-sponsors of terrorism list, the Obama Administration accepted the Castro regime's "assurances" that it will not support terrorism in the future -- a legal requirement for de-listing -- in the same breath as it's claim that it has "never" supported terrorism.
As such, the Obama Administration has accepted a lie, in order to further another lie.
The Obama Administration also certified that Cuba has not supported terrorism "in the last six months" -- the other legal requirement for de-listing. Meanwhile, a scandal is brewing in Colombia over a ship that was intercepted on February 28, 2015 -- just three months ago -- with over 100 tons of heavy weapons being smuggled by a shadow company of the Cuban military ("Tecnoimport"), seemingly for FARC terrorists.
Cuba's removal from the terrorism list, while questions linger about this illegal weapons shipment is highly irresponsible.
It is evidently clear that the Obama Administration's removal from the terrorism list has little do with the facts, but was instead compelled to meet a key demand of the Castro regime for the establishment of diplomatic relations.
The hasty removal of Libya (2006) and North Korea (2008) from the terrorism list has proven -- time and again -- that such concessions do not dissuade rogue regimes to change their behavior. To the contrary.
Thus, Congress must keep the important U.S. leverage the Obama Administration seeks to give-away without merit. It must maintain -- and strengthen -- the underlying sanctions associated with the terrorism legislation, which remain codified in law.
- ► 2016 (694)
05/24 - 05/31
- On Cuba's Removal From the State-Sponsors of Terro...
- Speaker Boehner: Congress Will Ensure Cuba Sanctio...
- Jeb: Iran's Leaders Are Taking Note of Obama's Cub...
- Rubio Comments On Obama’s Latest Concession To Cas...
- Walker: Obama Reinforces Castro at Expense of Cuba...
- The Dangerous Precedent Set by Obama's Cuba Swap
- Caveat Emptor: Cuban Slave Labor Victims Collect $...
- Cuba's Crackdown Should Make Obama Think Twice
- More and More Arrests in Cuba
- Vatican: Embrace Murderous Dictators, But Gay Marr...
- More Cuban Dissidents Arrested Today
- The Cuban Market Mirage
- Castro 200, Obama 0: While Talks Continue, Beating...
- Let's Have an Honest Cuba Policy Debate
- The Ladies in White: U.S.-Cuba Talks Not Empowerin...
- Mocking the Cuban People (and Breaking U.S. Law)
- Scandal Over "Cuba-Bound" Weapons Unfolds in Colom...
- The Destructive Mentality of the Castros
- Nearly 200 Cuban Dissidents Arrested, Nobody Cares...
- Cuban Regime Must Account for Missing American POW...
- Tweet of the Day: Cuba's Bloody Sundays
- Cuban Rocker Arrested for Demanding Release of Pol...
- Syrian Regime Officials Visit Cuba, Learn From Cas...
- Fixing What Obama Has Broken on Cuba Policy
- ▼ 05/24 - 05/31 (24)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)