This morning, the media noted how the speeches at the "26 de Julio" ("Rebellion Day") commemoration -- one of the Castro regime's main holidays -- had toned down anti-American rhetoric.
They concluded this was due to renewed diplomatic relations with the United States.
Yet, the violence against peaceful Cuban dissidents remained unchanged (and unreported).
This afternoon, over 75 democracy activists, including 46 members of The Ladies in White, were beaten and arrested.
Its leader, Berta Soler, was punched in the mouth.
Clearly, the "theory" that Castro needs the U.S. as a nemesis to crackdown on dissidents is nonsense.
But we've known that.
As we've written before, dictators need no excuses to crackdown on dissent.
The Ladies in White, composed of the wives, mothers, daughters and other relatives of Cuban political prisoners, had dedicated today's demonstration to the third-anniversary of the murder of democracy leader, Oswaldo Paya.
They were intercepted, beaten and arrested.
It's what "change looks like" in Cuba.
at 10:46 PM Sunday, July 26, 2015
- ► 2016 (694)
07/26 - 08/02
- How Obama's Cuba and Iran Policies Are Hurting Hil...
- Marco Rubio to Hillary: No More Failed 'Resets'
- Jeb Bush: Cuban People Aren't Imprisoned by Past, ...
- Scott Walker: Clinton's Misguided Cuba Policy
- Tweet of the Day: Young Cuban-Americans Against Hi...
- Here We Go Again: The Exiles Are Changing, the Exi...
- Miami Herald Editorial: Keep the Embargo
- Top Senators Probe Political Motivations in Cuba T...
- A Redux of Clinton's Cuba Policy
- Are Cuba's Victims Less Worthy?
- Quote of the Week: No Action by Castro That Benefi...
- U.S. Concessions to Cuba Are Not Justified
- Obama Leaves Dictators Free to Flourish
- Details of Bad Cuba Deal Emerge
- Must-Watch: Why Does Jacobson Insist on Misleading...
- In Clear Side Deal, Obama Upgrades Cuba in Traffic...
- Cuba "Celebrates" Diplomatic Relations With Over 7...
- Tweet of the Week: What "Change Looks Like" in Cub...
- WaPo Editorial: Obama's Cuba Deal Set Bad Preceden...
- As Odebrecht's Corruption Probe Widens, So Should ...
- Quote of the Week: I Will Not Betray My Soul for a...
- "Hope Indicator": Repression, Defections and Rafte...
- ▼ 07/26 - 08/02 (22)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)