“The Cuban people deserve the support of the United States and of an entire region that has committed to promote and defend democracy through the Inter-American Democratic Charter.” – The White House December 17, 2014
- Levels of violence and numbers of arbitrary detentions have grown exponentially during the 18 months of secret negotiations between the Castro regime and the Obama administration.
- Human Rights defenders were victims of brutal, life threatening machete attacks in the same month that secret negotiations between the Obama administration and the Castro dictatorship started.
- The December 17, 2014 announcement of normalized relations was surrounded by repression, violence and death.
- There has been an explosion of arbitrary detentions in Cuba, jumping from an average of 550 per month to 742.
- The Castro regime has been implicated in heightening repression against pro-democracy activists in Venezuela, including extrajudicial killings.