For the 20th Sunday in a row, nearly 50 Cuban dissidents were violently arrested in Havana yesterday, as they peacefully demonstrated for human rights and the release of all political prisoners.
Among those arrested were over 30 members of The Ladies in White, including its leader, Berta Soler.
The Ladies in White are the renowned pro-democracy group composed of the wives, mothers, daughters and other relatives of Cuban political prisoners.
Reports indicate several of The Ladies in White were brutally beaten, including Danaysi Muñoz, who was taken to the military detention facility at Tarara.
Also beaten was Yaquelin Boni, who witnessed her son, Yasser Rivero Boni, being attacked and rearrested. He had just been released last month after serving four years in prison.
(Below is an image of Yaqulin Boni pursuant to another recent beating at the hands of Castro's secret police.)
Others arrested include independent journalists, Juan Gonzalez Febles and Lazaro Yuri Valle Roca, and Raul Borges, who is the father of political prisoner, Ernesto Borges.
Meanwhile, in the town of Aguada de Pasajeros (Cienfuegos), two members of The Ladies in White, Milaidis Espino Diaz and Niurvis de La Rosa Hernandez, were barred from attending Mass by the parish priest.
This behavior, akin to the Obama Administration's during the U.S. Embassy flag-raising ceremony, doesn't bode well for the upcoming visit of Pope Francis.
This is "what change looks like" in Cuba.
at 10:04 PM Sunday, August 30, 2015
- ► 2016 (694)
08/30 - 09/06
- Russian Spy Ship Targets U.S. Nuclear Submarines, ...
- Tweet of the Day: Russian Spy Ship Docked in Havan...
- Quote to Remember: On the China Model
- Cuban Troops Participate in Military Parade in Bei...
- Cuban Regime Re-Affirms Ties With North Korea
- A Cuban Political Prisoner Writes Pope Francis
- Cuba's Regime is Unrepentant, Its Crimes Are Ongoi...
- Shrouded in Silence, Cuban Religious Leader Spends...
- U.S. Embassy Re-Opened Amid Record Political Arres...
- Remarkable Cuban-American Congressional Unity
- Church Denies Refuge to Cuban Dissidents, Allows S...
- Lopez-Cantera: Cuba and Iran Deals Reveal a White ...
- Hillary Belittles Little Havana
- Cuba Trains "Thugs" in Venezuela
- Cuba Strengthens Relations With Rogue Regimes
- Let's Try This Again: A Middle-Ground Approach to ...
- 20th Straight Sunday of Political Arrests in Cuba,...
- Cuba Purchases Latest Russian 'Air-to-Air' Missile...
- Must-Read: State Department Snubs Cuban Independen...
- Obama's 'Sunshine Policy' Towards Cuba
- Odebrecht's Man in Havana
- Editorial Cartoon: A Bad Cuba Deal
- ▼ 08/30 - 09/06 (22)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)