The Bloomberg article below reports that Venezuela is the next "test of President Barack Obama’s 2009 inaugural pledge to 'extend a hand' to repressive and corrupt regimes if they are 'willing to unclench' their fists."
Except in the case of Burma, Iran and Cuba -- Obama "extended his hand," while those regimes remain with clenched fists.
In each case, the regimes have been strengthened, repression has intensified and democracy activists have been relegated.
Maduro must be thrilled.
Correction: Maduro's patrons in Havana are thrilled -- it's a two-fer.
Obama Charm Drive Targets Venezuela After Iran, Cuba
The Obama administration’s charm offensive with unfriendly states has rolled through Myanmar, Iran and Cuba. Next stop: Venezuela.
Just months after the administration declared Venezuela a threat to U.S. national security, it’s working to improve relations, driven by concern that upheaval there could destabilize the region.
State Department officers have been meeting quietly with officials in the leftist government of President Nicolas Maduro since April to develop what Secretary of State John Kerry has called “a normal relationship.”
The outreach is another test of President Barack Obama’s 2009 inaugural pledge to “extend a hand” to repressive and corrupt regimes if they are “willing to unclench” their fists.
Falling oil prices, plummeting foreign reserves, a 68.5 percent inflation rate and growing political tensions are battering Venezuela. There’s enough at stake that even a Justice Department probe into the alleged drug ties of the lead Venezuelan in the talks hasn’t derailed the diplomacy.
at 11:56 AM Tuesday, August 4, 2015
- ► 2016 (592)
08/02 - 08/09
- Andy Garcia: Nothing Has Changed in Cuba
- Pyongyang is Eating Havana's Lunch
- Constituent to U.S. Rep. Emmer: You Lost Me on Cub...
- New Embassy, Same Old Dictatorship
- Top Senators Blast State Department's Manipulation...
- Leader of Cuba's Ladies in White: Regime Sees Obam...
- Washington Times Editorial: Obama Hides Evidence o...
- How the Tail (Castro) is Wagging the Dog (Obama an...
- Quote of the Week: On U.S. Business Opportunities ...
- Bush and Rubio Are Right to Criticize Obama on Cub...
- Cuban Rocker Gorki Aguila Has Been Arrested
- Cuba: Highest Number of Political Arrests in Over ...
- In Iran and Cuba Polling, It's All About How the Q...
- Fostering Repression in Cuba, One Daiquiri at a Ti...
- Report: State Department Manipulated Cuba Human Tr...
- After Strengthening Regimes in Burma, Iran and Cub...
- A Song for Cuba's Ladies in White
- Cuba Concessions Slap U.S. Allies in the Face
- Over 60 Political Arrests Today, 630 in July
- WSJ: Clinton Needs to Read Up on the Castros
- Obama’s Mistaken Cuba Policy Could Carry a Heavy P...
- It’s Time for Kerry to Engage With Cuban Dissident...
- Tweet of the Week: Another Birthday Without Her Im...
- Maduro Learns From Obama's Cuba Deal: No Consequen...
- Video of Week: Cuban Police Attacks Skateboarder
- ▼ 08/02 - 08/09 (25)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)