Yesterday, on the eight month of his arbitrary arrest, El Sexto began a hunger strike to protest his unjust imprisonment.
From the New York-based, Human Rights Foundation:
Free El Sexto
The Human Rights Foundation (HRF) calls for the release of Cuban graffiti artist and activist Danilo Maldonado Machado, best known as El Sexto, who has been arbitrarily imprisoned for eight months in the Valle Grande prison, located west of Havana. El Sexto was arrested on December 25, 2014 while he was on his way to put on a performance art piece called “Rebelión en la Granja”—the title in Spanish of George Orwell’s classic Animal Farm—which included two pigs decorated with the names Fidel and Raúl. El Sexto was charged with contempt, a crime punishable by up to three years in prison. This past May, El Sexto was awarded the Václav Havel International Prize for Creative Dissent for his bravery and ingenuity in peacefully advocating for individual rights in Cuba.
“El Sexto is in prison for satirizing a family dynasty that for 57 years has ruled Cuba with absolute power. The Castro regime arrests and imprisons those who are critical of the government regardless of how harmless that expression may be. What is most ironic is that Fidel and Raúl Castro’s reaction to the Animal Farm skit confirmed El Sexto’s underlying point. The Castros reacted precisely how Napoleon, the porcine dictator depicted in George Orwell’s satire, would respond when met with criticism,” said HRF president, Thor Halvorssen. “Just like the barnyard dwellers in Orwell’s novel, Cuban artists like Danilo Maldonado, Tania Bruguera, or Gorki Águila are methodically punished for refusing to abide by the capricious rules of a totalitarian regime that lacks a sense of humor and represses even the slightest expression of freedom,” Halvorssen added.
The Human Rights Foundation (HRF) is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization that promotes and protects human rights globally, with a focus on closed societies.
- ► 2016 (694)
08/23 - 08/30
- Young Cuban Dissidents: Obama's Policy Helps Castr...
- Freemuse: Release Imprisoned Cuban Artists
- Cuban Activists Fear Arrest Ahead of Pope's Visit
- Must-Watch: Video for the Freedom of Imprisoned Cu...
- Quote of the Day: The Intra-Castro Transition in C...
- When Was This Cuba Story Written?, Pt. 2
- Obama's Cuba Policy Seeks to Preserve Status Quo
- Obama's Good Intentions and Bad Outcomes
- Free Imprisoned Cuban Artist #ElSexto
- Is This How Trade Will Foster Freedom?
- Duke Student: Obama's Cuba Deal is as Bad as it So...
- For 19th Sunday in a Row, Over 60 Cuban Dissidents...
- Give Castro's Washington Embassy the Address it De...
- Quote of the Day: Chasing Dreams, Not Reality in C...
- Cuba's Few (Controlled) Hotspots Are Hardly an "Op...
- Cuba: Two Young Dissidents Handed Long Prison Sent...
- The Price of American Diplomacy in Cuba
- Radio Interview: On Obama's Cuba Policy
- Victim of Cuban Spy Sues U.S. Bank for $57 Million...
- ▼ 08/23 - 08/30 (19)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)