Venezuela's Maduro government is clearly taking note from Obama's one-sided deal with Cuba's dictatorship, whereby the U.S. has established diplomatic relations, eased sanctions and is allowing companies to traffic in stolen American property.
All for nothing in return.
With no consequences to face -- as Maduro's advisers in Havana have now proven -- Venezuela is moving ahead with confiscations.
Ironically, some of the companies lobbying to do business with Cuba's regime are now suffering the consequences in Venezuela.
There's something karmic about that.
From The Wall Street Journal:
Venezuela Takeover Order Riles Companies
Maduro’s government wants industrial zone to build housing for poor
The government ordered major food companies, including units of PepsiCo and Nestlé Inc., to evacuate warehouses in an area where the state plans to expropriate land to build low-cost housing.
Thursday’s order, delivered by National Guard soldiers and housing officials, gives companies 60 days to clear out of the structures in an industrial zone, workers and company officials said.
These people condemned the move as the latest sign of increasingly hostile relations between the private sector and President Nicolás Maduro’s leftist administration.
Mr. Maduro in recent months has ramped up accusations against companies including the Pepsi bottler Empresas Polar SA, the country’s biggest food vendor, that he blames for Venezuela’s galloping inflation and chronic shortages of basic goods ranging from cooking oil to shampoo. Business leaders deny the allegations and say the economic woes stem from rigid state controls and the government’s mismanagement.
Major distributors, including U.S. agriculture giant Cargill Inc. and Mexico’s Coca-Cola Femsa SAB, also rent storage space in the industrial zone.
at 10:35 AM Sunday, August 2, 2015
- ► 2016 (694)
08/02 - 08/09
- Andy Garcia: Nothing Has Changed in Cuba
- Pyongyang is Eating Havana's Lunch
- Constituent to U.S. Rep. Emmer: You Lost Me on Cub...
- New Embassy, Same Old Dictatorship
- Top Senators Blast State Department's Manipulation...
- Leader of Cuba's Ladies in White: Regime Sees Obam...
- Washington Times Editorial: Obama Hides Evidence o...
- How the Tail (Castro) is Wagging the Dog (Obama an...
- Quote of the Week: On U.S. Business Opportunities ...
- Bush and Rubio Are Right to Criticize Obama on Cub...
- Cuban Rocker Gorki Aguila Has Been Arrested
- Cuba: Highest Number of Political Arrests in Over ...
- In Iran and Cuba Polling, It's All About How the Q...
- Fostering Repression in Cuba, One Daiquiri at a Ti...
- Report: State Department Manipulated Cuba Human Tr...
- After Strengthening Regimes in Burma, Iran and Cub...
- A Song for Cuba's Ladies in White
- Cuba Concessions Slap U.S. Allies in the Face
- Over 60 Political Arrests Today, 630 in July
- WSJ: Clinton Needs to Read Up on the Castros
- Obama’s Mistaken Cuba Policy Could Carry a Heavy P...
- It’s Time for Kerry to Engage With Cuban Dissident...
- Tweet of the Week: Another Birthday Without Her Im...
- Maduro Learns From Obama's Cuba Deal: No Consequen...
- Video of Week: Cuban Police Attacks Skateboarder
- ▼ 08/02 - 08/09 (25)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)