The Castro regime continues to make a mockery of Obama's deal.
Over 60 Cuban dissidents were arrested today. They include Lia Villares, the young blogger leading a campaign for the release of artist Danilo Maldonado, known as "El Sexto," who has been imprisoned since December 25th, 2015 -- just one week after the Obama-Castro deal.
Meanwhile, the Cuban Observatory for Human Rights has documented 630 political arrests throughout the month of June 2015 -- the highest monthly tally this year. Of those, 340 were female democracy activists.
In other words, while the Obama Administration and the Castro dictatorship were celebrating renewed diplomatic ties, a record number of dissidents were being arrested.
But the mockery doesn't end there.
Also this week, Jorge Ramirez Calderon, one of the political prisoners released pursuant to Obama's deal, was notified that he is now facing a 4-year sentence for "public disorder."
His crime? Participating in a March 28th protest in the town of Manicaragua, for which he was severely beaten and arrested.
And independent journalist, Lazaro Yuri Valle, along with democracy activist, Yasser Rivero Boni, were beaten and arrested for filming an area of Old Havana where a building collapsed.
Here's what Yuri Valle reported about the spike in repression that's currently unfolding:
"The beatings are merciless, the repression has gotten completely out of hand. An elderly man, who had open heart surgery, was thrown into a police truck like an animal. Things are out of control. Not only do they send the police to beat us, but also mobs are set loose on us. They hit us however and wherever, anyone can be hit or stabbed, or pricked with needles, as they have been doing."
Sadly, these are the extraordinarily courageous people being thrown by the wayside by Obama's new policy.
- ► 2016 (694)
08/02 - 08/09
- Andy Garcia: Nothing Has Changed in Cuba
- Pyongyang is Eating Havana's Lunch
- Constituent to U.S. Rep. Emmer: You Lost Me on Cub...
- New Embassy, Same Old Dictatorship
- Top Senators Blast State Department's Manipulation...
- Leader of Cuba's Ladies in White: Regime Sees Obam...
- Washington Times Editorial: Obama Hides Evidence o...
- How the Tail (Castro) is Wagging the Dog (Obama an...
- Quote of the Week: On U.S. Business Opportunities ...
- Bush and Rubio Are Right to Criticize Obama on Cub...
- Cuban Rocker Gorki Aguila Has Been Arrested
- Cuba: Highest Number of Political Arrests in Over ...
- In Iran and Cuba Polling, It's All About How the Q...
- Fostering Repression in Cuba, One Daiquiri at a Ti...
- Report: State Department Manipulated Cuba Human Tr...
- After Strengthening Regimes in Burma, Iran and Cub...
- A Song for Cuba's Ladies in White
- Cuba Concessions Slap U.S. Allies in the Face
- Over 60 Political Arrests Today, 630 in July
- WSJ: Clinton Needs to Read Up on the Castros
- Obama’s Mistaken Cuba Policy Could Carry a Heavy P...
- It’s Time for Kerry to Engage With Cuban Dissident...
- Tweet of the Week: Another Birthday Without Her Im...
- Maduro Learns From Obama's Cuba Deal: No Consequen...
- Video of Week: Cuban Police Attacks Skateboarder
- ▼ 08/02 - 08/09 (25)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)