Various Cuban dissidents were invited yesterday afternoon -- at the last minute -- to greet Pope Francis at the Apostolic Nunciature in Havana.
However, they were arrested by Castro's secret police as they headed to the Nunciature.
Among those arrested were Berta Soler, head of The Ladies in White, along with her husband, Angel Moya, a former Amnesty International prisoner of conscience.
Also arrested on her way to the Nunciature was renowned democracy leader, Marta Beatriz Roque.
Earlier in the day, over 20 members of The Ladies in White and at least 30 activists from the Cuban Patriotic Union (UNPACU) were rounded up and arrested, in order to prevent them from attending Sunday's Papal Mass.
Other activists arrested include former Amnesty International prisoner of conscience, Librado Linares, Agustin Lopez and Carlos Olivera, who was arrested along with his wife Yenisleydis Millo, a member of The Ladies in White.
Meanwhile, the headquarters of The Ladies in White in the Lawton neighborhood of Havana remains besieged by Castro's repressive brigades.
at 12:24 AM Sunday, September 20, 2015
- ► 2016 (651)
09/20 - 09/27
- A Brave Cuban Dissident Near Death
- Global Dissidents Ask That Obama Pressure Dictator...
- Letter from Cuban Pro-Democracy Leaders to the U.S...
- A Farewell Letter From Imprisoned Cuban Artist (on...
- Over 250 Cuban Dissidents Arrested During Pope Fra...
- Chairman Duncan to Obama: Uphold and Defend U.S. L...
- Editorial Cartoon: Pope Leaves Cuba, Doesn't Look ...
- Who Will Speak for China's (Cuba's) Dissidents?
- Cubans Know Reconciliation, It's Freedom They Seek...
- In Cuba, the Pope Lacked Clarity
- Quote of the Week: What Pope Francis Ignored in Cu...
- In Havana, Pope Francis is no John Paul II
- WaPo Editorial: Pope Francis Appeases Castros in R...
- Though U.S. Remains Shamefully Silent on Cuba's Re...
- CNN Interview: On Pope Francis' Visit to Cuba
- FPI Bulletin: A Blind Eye Toward Freedom in Cuba
- Tweeting Truth About Pope Francis in Cuba
- Why Did Obama Provide Castro a Distraction Ahead o...
- WSJ: Cuban Dissidents Beg to See the Pope
- Three Popes Make Same Mistake in Cuba
- Cuba Arrests Dissidents Before Pope's Havana Mass
- Must-Watch: Cuban Dissidents Approach Pope, Brutal...
- Cuban Dissidents Arrested On Way to Apostolic Nunc...
- Caught on Film: Cuban Woman Arrested for Demonstra...
- ▼ 09/20 - 09/27 (24)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)