On Sunday, Chilean legislator Felipe Kast was beaten and arrested by the Castro regime for peacefully demonstrating alongside The Ladies in White and other Cuban democracy activists.
What an admirable show of solidarity.
As Kast explained, "The Ladies in White have spent a long time suffering violent arrests simply for demonstrating peacefully for the respect of human rights in Cuba. In my visit to Cuba, the least I could do was accompany them in their Sunday walk."
In contrast, the Associated Press recently reported how more than 20 U.S. lawmakers have traveled to Cuba since February without meeting with dissident groups.
What a sad testament of Obama's Cuba policy.
Many of these U.S. lawmakers' trips have been sponsored by Castro-friendly groups, such as the so-called Center for Democracy in the Americas, which take them on "dog-and-pony shows" that have the blessing of the dictatorship.
Others, such as U.S. Senators Jeff Flake (R-AZ) and Patrick Leahy (D-VT), have willfully chosen to relegate Cuba's courageous democracy leaders, in order not to lose access to Castro regime officials.
In other words, they have chosen to submit to Castro's coercion.
And, there's the Obama Administration itself, which even refused to invite Cuban democracy leaders to the flag-raising ceremony at the U.S. Embassy -- then lied about it to the American people.
After all, it's easy to kowtow to the Castro regime, in exchange for access, visas, profits and superficially friendly relations.
But Kast embodies what Cuban poet and independence hero Jose Marti once wrote: "When there are many men without decorum, there are always others who themselves possess the decorum of many men."
There are those without decorum:
And others with the decorum of many:
at 11:09 PM Monday, September 7, 2015
- ► 2016 (601)
09/06 - 09/13
- On Castro's Latest Prisoner "Pardon"
- Pope Francis Should Embrace Cuba's True Heroes
- Obama's Short-Sighted Cuba Policy Has Regional Con...
- An Emboldened Maduro Hands Venezuelan Democracy Le...
- Trade With Cuba Literally Means Trade With Castro
- Caught on Tape: Catholic Priest Expels Female Cuba...
- Quote of the Day: Evidence Proves Trade With Castr...
- What "Change Looks Like": Cubans Fleeing in Record...
- Cuban Regime Marks Feast Day With Over 140 Disside...
- Tweet of the Day: Sadistic Torture of a Cuban Diss...
- Images: Cuba and North Korea Celebrate Close Ties,...
- Quote of the Day: Cuban Regime Hasn't Shown Slight...
- Bank Stumbles on Appeal to Shield Cuban Assets
- U.S. Lawmakers Should Learn From Kast's Solidarity...
- Venezuelan Defense Minister Taking Notes (Orders) ...
- North Korea's Kim Receives Cuba's Diaz-Canel
- Cuba and Iran Seek to Jointly Counter "U.S. Hegemo...
- Chilean Legislator (and Former Minister) Arrested ...
- Kast: It's Very Hard to Watch a State Beat Its Own...
- Under Obama Deal, Arrests of Female Cuban Democrac...
- ▼ 09/06 - 09/13 (20)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)