Update: The Cuban authorities intend to prosecute Roberto de Jesus Quiñones for a "crime" called "spreading false news about international peace."
Independent journalist Roberto de Jesus Quiñones Arrested in Guantanamo
At six in the morning on Monday, a group of 15 Interior Ministry troops stormed the house of lawyer and an independent journalist Roberto de Jesus Quiñones, in the city of Guantanamo. The troops conducted a thorough search and took the reporter, without specifying the reasons for his arrest or his final whereabouts.
According to his mother, Maria Haces, 77, among those who participated in the operation were men in olive-green uniforms and others in blue and black, plus individuals in plainclothes. The entire search process was filmed with a small camera and they ultimately seized a computer, several disks and documents. The arrest occurred in the absence of the Quiñones’s wife, who is traveling in the United States.
The reporter is also a member of the Corriente Agramontista association of independent lawyers. His reports on events in his province are published by the agency CubaNet and one of his last works denounced the poor state of the road known as La Farola, in the Nipe-Sagua mountain range of Tánamo-Baracoa.
Before turning to independent journalism, he was a member of the National Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC) and collaborated with the official press on reviews of the cultural life of his city.
No references of any facts that led to the police action, as it is not the exercise of their professional activities.
The arrest occurred within hours of the Inter-American Press Association (IAPA). during its meeting in Charleston (South Carolina, USA), expressing its concern about the situation of the press in Cuba and repression against independent reporters.
at 8:56 AM Saturday, October 10, 2015
- ► 2016 (694)
10/04 - 10/11
- Images: Cuban Dissidents Launch Protest at Castro'...
- U.S.-Cuba Relations: Obama Gives, Castro Takes
- Obama Policy Leads to Escalation in Repression of ...
- Cuban Independent Journalist Arrested, Faces Sham ...
- Video: Menendez Floor Speech on Trajectory of Obam...
- Must-Read: Menendez Floor Speech on Trajectory of ...
- Why is Pritzker Promoting Kleptocracy and Labor Vi...
- Miami Herald Editorial: Congress Shouldn't Budge o...
- Quote of the Day: Pritzker's Premature Trip to Cub...
- Is it the Right Time to Lift the Cuban Embargo?
- Over 882 Political Arrests in September
- Must-Read: Cuba's Regime Tries to Blackmail the U....
- Obama's Cuba Policy: Distract from Human Life, Foc...
- Quote of the Day: Cuba's Absolute Violation of Fre...
- WSJ Editorial: Obama's Castro Courtship
- When Did America Become So Spineless?
- Obama Doesn't Understand Why Raul Bites His Hand
- ▼ 10/04 - 10/11 (17)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)