It has become the media's accepted talking point that the latest Cuban refugee crisis is due to "fears" that the privileges afforded under the Cuban Adjustment Act ("CAA") will soon come to an end.
Yet, history does not support this theory.
Were the Cuban refugee crises known as Camarioca (1965), Mariel (1980) and Cojimar (1994) due to "fear" that the CAA would soon end?
Of course not.
The cause of the latest Cuban refugee crisis is the same as the prior three -- namely a desire by the Cuban people to flee the Castro dictatorship and a desire by the Castro dictatorship to relieve itself of disaffected Cubans.
So much for the "hope and change" that Obama's new policy was supposed to afford the Cuban people.
History also shows it stems from Castro perceiving weakness in a U.S. President. Like with Jimmy Carter in 1980 and Bill Clinton in 1994, the Castro regime knows it can use human beings as weapons to continue extracting concessions from a unilaterally eager and generous U.S. President.
The Castro regime knows the Obama Administration is desperate to show any sign of "success" with its one-sided deal, particularly with the December 17th anniversary quickly approaching. Castro wants even more, but is not willing "to cede one millimeter" in terms of political, economic and human rights for the Cuban people.
Thus, play the refugee card.
at 12:29 PM Thursday, November 19, 2015
- ► 2016 (606)
11/15 - 11/22
- Castro Shuts Down Only Email Service in Cuba
- Rubio Pledges to Undo Obama's Cuba Policy
- Quote of the Day: How Cubans Are Responding to 'No...
- Diaz-Balart: Premature To Think U.S. Airlines And ...
- Cuban Adjustment Act is Not the Cause of Latest Re...
- Must-Read: Third Time is Not a Charm Engaging Cast...
- Tweet of the Day: Capitulation is a Miserable Fail...
- An Unreliable and Politically Irrelevant Cuba Poll...
- Prominent Member of Cuba's Ladies in White Denied ...
- No to Impunity: Justice is Vital to Reconciliation...
- Syria Isn't Obama's Only Refugee Crisis
- Quote of the Day: No Improvements in Political or ...
- Appeasement Will Not Improve Things in Cuba
- 1,403 Arbitrary Arrests in Cuba Under U.S. Embassy...
- Je Suis Cuba
- Banks Are Right to Be Wary About Cuba Transactions...
- Over 150 Cuban Dissidents Arrested Yesterday
- Quote of the Day: Castro Strategically Controls Ve...
- U.S. Embassy in Havana Denies Visa to Cuban Dissid...
- Quote of the Day: On the Recent Exodus of Cubans
- Must-Read: Cuban Military Prepares to Milk Cruise ...
- ▼ 11/15 - 11/22 (21)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)