Excerpt from yesterday's Congressional testimony by Amb. Mark Lagon, President of Freedom House and former U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for Trafficking in Persons, during a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing (Demanding Accountability: Evaluating the 2015 “Trafficking in Persons Report”):
"Cuba was upgraded to Tier 2 Watch List. With a diplomatic opening unmatched by any political opening, Freedom House ranks Cuba as Not Free. Some might claim a past downward political bias against Cuba in U.S. trafficking assessments was removed with the diplomatic opening. I do not look at the past that way.
The grounds for an upgrade are deeply questionable. The Report says:
- 'The penal code does not criminalize all forms of human trafficking' on paper, not to speak of enforcement.
- The Cuba regime did not even dissemble and claim any 'efforts to prevent forced labor' nor 'any trafficking-specific shelters.'
It is far-fetched to suppose that there is no forced labor in state enterprises or for political prisoners in one of the world’s few remaining Marxist-Leninist states. Also, a burgeoning sex industry – welcoming sex tourism – fuels exploitation, despite steps the Report notes taken by Cuba to address sex trafficking."
at 9:39 AM Thursday, November 5, 2015
- ► 2016 (597)
11/01 - 11/08
- Castro's Visit to Mexico Further Disproves Obama's...
- Congressional Field Hearing Probes Obama's Cuba Po...
- Tampa Leader: Cuban Consulate Would be 'Ultimate B...
- Winning the Future in Latin America
- What We've Learned About Obama's Cuba Policy This ...
- Which State Department Official is Lying About Oba...
- Freedom House: Grounds for Cuba's Human Traffickin...
- Quote of the Week: We Have to Be Free
- Highest Number of Cubans Intercepted-at-Sea in 20 ...
- The Cuba Deal Alone Justifies Opposition to Obama'...
- Over 1,093 Political Arrests in October
- Cuba: Russia’s Unsinkable Aircraft Carrier
- Substantial Drop in U.S. Companies at Havana Inter...
- Recycling the "Havana Trade Fair" Hype
- Absurd: Kerry Aide to Support "Private Sector" Thr...
- Over 150 Cuban Dissidents Arrested Yesterday
- The Castros Just Want the Embargo Lifted
- Treasury Fines Travel Company for Cuba Sanctions V...
- Pursuant to Obama's Policy, New Exodus of Cubans H...
- ▼ 11/01 - 11/08 (19)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)