Like other aspects of Obama's new Cuba policy, rather than preventing a migration crisis -- ironically -- it has ignited one.
Number of Cubans intercepted at sea rises to highest level in two decades
Highest number of Cubans intercepted at sea in past two decades, Coast Guard says
More Cubans were stopped at sea while trying to reach the U.S. in the fiscal year ended Sept. 30 than at any time since the chaotic rafter crisis of 1994, according to figures from the U.S. Coast Guard.
The total number of Cubans picked up on the ocean — heading to South Florida in vessels often makeshift and unseaworthy — and returned to the island during those 12 months was 2,924, according to figures released this week.
In October, the first month of the federal government's fiscal 2016, 433 Cubans were stopped a sea, a figure higher than any month in the previous fiscal year.
- ► 2016 (694)
11/01 - 11/08
- Castro's Visit to Mexico Further Disproves Obama's...
- Congressional Field Hearing Probes Obama's Cuba Po...
- Tampa Leader: Cuban Consulate Would be 'Ultimate B...
- Winning the Future in Latin America
- What We've Learned About Obama's Cuba Policy This ...
- Which State Department Official is Lying About Oba...
- Freedom House: Grounds for Cuba's Human Traffickin...
- Quote of the Week: We Have to Be Free
- Highest Number of Cubans Intercepted-at-Sea in 20 ...
- The Cuba Deal Alone Justifies Opposition to Obama'...
- Over 1,093 Political Arrests in October
- Cuba: Russia’s Unsinkable Aircraft Carrier
- Substantial Drop in U.S. Companies at Havana Inter...
- Recycling the "Havana Trade Fair" Hype
- Absurd: Kerry Aide to Support "Private Sector" Thr...
- Over 150 Cuban Dissidents Arrested Yesterday
- The Castros Just Want the Embargo Lifted
- Treasury Fines Travel Company for Cuba Sanctions V...
- Pursuant to Obama's Policy, New Exodus of Cubans H...
- ▼ 11/01 - 11/08 (19)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)