In case there's any doubt how arbitrary decision-making in Cuba is:
Cuba Imposes Travel Permit for Doctors to Limit Brain Drain
The Cuban government announced Tuesday that it is reimposing a hated travel permit requirement on many doctors, requiring them to get permission to leave the country in an attempt to counter a brain drain that it blames on the United States.
It is the first major reverse in Cuba's policy of allowing unrestricted travel for its citizens, put in place in 2013 as President Raul Castro allowed new freedoms as part of a broad set of social and economic reforms.
The government announced on the front page of state media that health professionals in specialties that have been drained by large-scale emigration in recent years will now be required to get permission from Health Ministry officials in order to leave the country.
- ► 2016 (660)
11/29 - 12/06
- Where Are the "Cuentapropista" ("Self-Employed") D...
- Kenneth Cole: Castro Didn't Get the Memo on Intern...
- Gloria Estefan: The Real Embargo on the Cuban Peop...
- The Cuban Migrant Crisis is a Castro Production
- Castro's Caracas Two-Step
- The Hill: Keep U.S. Chamber Out of Cuba Policy
- Cuban Regime Orders Demolition of Five Churches
- For the 'Mutual Benefit of CIMEX and Texas'? Reall...
- Doing Business 'In', or 'With' Cuba?
- For a True Art Basel VIP, Look to Cuba’s 'El Sexto...
- The First Anniversary of a Truncated Hope
- Rice Does Not a Foreign Policy Make
- 'Normalization' Doesn't Bring Hope for Change, It ...
- El Sexto: U.S. Has Given Away Too Much in 'Normali...
- Castro Reimposes Restrictions on Cuban Doctors
- What We Learned (Knew) From Alan Gross' Interview
- Fact: Protests Take Place Every Week in Cuba
- Washington Times Editorial: Obama's Open Hand to C...
- Curbelo: Focus on The Cuban Adjustment Act's Abuse...
- ▼ 11/29 - 12/06 (19)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)