Catholic Bishop Accuses Cuba of Holding Political Prisoners
The bishop in charge of the pastoral care of prison inmates in Cuba declared Wednesday that Cuba is holding a number of political prisoners on the island, some of whom are serving long sentences, a claim that Havana has repeatedly denied.
“Let’s be clear,” said Jorge Serpa, the bishop of the western diocese of Pinar del Rio. “We do have cases of political prisoners, persons serving long sentences for whom I have requested a review on behalf of the Church, and I will not tire of doing so.”
The bishop’s statements formed part of an interview published Wednesday in the magazine Palabra Nueva, a publication of the Archdiocese of Havana.
The Cuban government vehemently denies the existence of political prisoners on the island and instead punishes dissidents or members of the opposition under non-political charges, such as disturbances of public order or danger to the state.
In the interview, Serpa, who is head of the Commission of Pastoral Work with Prisoners of the Catholic Church in Cuba, said that there are “persons serving 47 or 40 years in prison.” He added, “In my group there are seven ‘color orange’ prisoners, who are those serving life sentences, and some of them are political.”
at 8:29 AM Tuesday, December 29, 2015
- ► 2016 (592)
12/27 - 01/03
- Cuba, U.S. Presidential Candidates and the Cuban-A...
- Cuban Dissident Released in Obama Deal, Then Arres...
- Quote of the Day: Who Sees Growth in the Cuban Eco...
- The Irony of Rahm's Cuba 'Vacation'
- After Meeting With Cuban-American Members of Congr...
- Tweet of the Week: Time for Conditions, Not Concer...
- Obama-Castro Deal Making Things Worse in Cuba
- Catholic Bishop: Some Cuban Political Prisoners Se...
- Who Cares About Vladimir Morera Bacallao?
- Despite Tourists, Canadian Firms Noticeably Absent...
- Newsmax TV Interview: On Obama's Cuba Policy
- Red Cross: Cuban Migration Crisis May 'Spin Out of...
- On Christmas, Cubans Prefer to Risk Lives at Sea
- ▼ 12/27 - 01/03 (13)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)