Yesterday, we corrected the media's disingenuous reporting about "rare" protests in Cuba.
This morning, the BBC adds this whopper: "Visa protest sign of new boldness in Cuba."
The BBC was founded in 1922, so surely it's historical memory can't be that short.
Does the BBC not remember when Cubans crashed a bus through the compound of the Peruvian Embassy in Havana, and a couple of days later, over 10,000 people were crammed seeking asylum in the small diplomatic compound?
That was the prelude to Mariel in 1980.
Does the BBC not remember the "Maleconazo," where thousands of thousands of Cubans took to the streets of Havana shouting "Libertad!" ("Freedom!")?
That was the prelude to the rafter's crisis of 1994.
Elitist thinking in Washington and the media is that Cubans are happy to live under the Castor dictatorship, so long as they can sell chachkas and receive tips from foreign tourists.
What Carter (1980), Clinton (1994) and Obama (2015) never realized (or want to realize) is that "normalization" doesn't bring "hope" for change in Cuba.
To the contrary, it signals the end of "hope" for change.
The greatest irony Obama's current policy is how embracing an octogenarian dictatorship is spun by the media as "progressive change."
To the contrary, it normalizes the status quo.
Thus, another refugee crisis.
at 9:45 AM Tuesday, December 1, 2015
- ► 2016 (694)
11/29 - 12/06
- Where Are the "Cuentapropista" ("Self-Employed") D...
- Kenneth Cole: Castro Didn't Get the Memo on Intern...
- Gloria Estefan: The Real Embargo on the Cuban Peop...
- The Cuban Migrant Crisis is a Castro Production
- Castro's Caracas Two-Step
- The Hill: Keep U.S. Chamber Out of Cuba Policy
- Cuban Regime Orders Demolition of Five Churches
- For the 'Mutual Benefit of CIMEX and Texas'? Reall...
- Doing Business 'In', or 'With' Cuba?
- For a True Art Basel VIP, Look to Cuba’s 'El Sexto...
- The First Anniversary of a Truncated Hope
- Rice Does Not a Foreign Policy Make
- 'Normalization' Doesn't Bring Hope for Change, It ...
- El Sexto: U.S. Has Given Away Too Much in 'Normali...
- Castro Reimposes Restrictions on Cuban Doctors
- What We Learned (Knew) From Alan Gross' Interview
- Fact: Protests Take Place Every Week in Cuba
- Washington Times Editorial: Obama's Open Hand to C...
- Curbelo: Focus on The Cuban Adjustment Act's Abuse...
- ▼ 11/29 - 12/06 (19)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)