According to the 2016 Index of Economic Freedom, which was released today, Cuba remains the world's second least-free economy.
Cuba ranked 177 out of 178 in the world. Only North Korea is less free.
The Index of Economic Freedom is an annual guide published by The Wall Street Journal and The Heritage Foundation.
The reason for Cuba's dismal placement is the Castro regime's insistence on monopolizing all foreign trade and investment, and the lack of a rule of law.
Let's be clear. This doesn't mean that business opportunities don't exist in Cuba -- or in North Korea -- as the media constantly reminds us.
It means that those opportunities are not with the Cuban people, they are with the repressive Castro dictatorship's state monopolies and its cronies -- which have never benefited the Cuban people.
So why isn't U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker leading a trade delegation to Zimbabwe (#175), which is two-notches freer than Cuba?
Why isn't the U.S. Chamber of Commerce forming a Working Group for Iran (#171), which is six-notches freer than Cuba?
Or how about a U.S. Agriculture Coalition for Belarus, which is twenty-notches freer (#157) than Cuba?
Rather, why is the Obama Administration and its unscrupulous business allies so intent on financing Castro's brutal, monopolistic dictatorship?
at 10:05 AM Monday, February 8, 2016
02/07 - 02/14
- NPR's Weekend in Washington Debate: Claver-Carone ...
- Bipartisan Lawmakers Question Obama's Decision to ...
- Q&A: Will New U.S. Rule Changes Benefit the People...
- DNI Director: Cuba Remains a Top Counterintelligen...
- Must-Read Letter From Cuba: Four Questions for Pre...
- Cuba: Church Demolished and Hundreds Arrested
- Obama "Empowers" Castro Henchman on Human Traffick...
- Heritage/WSJ Index: Cuba Remains World's Second Le...
- Quote of the Day: With Embassy, Nothing Has Change...
- Images: Despite Threats, Beatings, and Arrests, Cu...
- Quote of the Day, Pt 2: On Obama's Embrace of Raul...
- Miami Herald Editorial: This Time, Put Your Foot D...
- Castro Mocks Obama's Outreach
- Cuban Regime Demolishes Evangelical Church; Pastor...
- ▼ 02/07 - 02/14 (14)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)