The media sensationalism surrounding Obama's Cuba trip would have you believe that Google was readily providing free Internet access to the Cuban people.
One headline read, "Obama Says Google Has a Deal To Expand Internet Access in Cuba".
But that's simply not the case.
As Fabiola Santiago explains in her latest Miami Herald column, "Post-Obama Cuba asks: And now what?":
"Not only are lives still at risk -- more than 300 activists were arrested before Obama’s visit -- but some advances aren’t what they seem.
The tech center Google inaugurated is a step forward but a controlled one, brokered by rewarding Castro sympathizers. It gives a coveted Wi-Fi hotspot and the prestige of hosting a Google-sponsored technology zone in his studio to Kcho, a mediocre but official artist who’s a Castro protege and calls Fidel his father.
Yet the government turned down Google’s proposal to connect all of Cuba for free."
03/27 - 04/03
- Must-Watch: Obama's Cuba Trip Meant Less Press Fre...
- Cuban Migration to U.S. Nearly Doubles at End of 2...
- Obama's Trip to Cuba was Self-Serving and Wrong
- USA Today: In China, Trade and Engagement Has Not ...
- Once Again, Raul Castro Takes "Active Measures"
- Video: Neighbors Intervene to Prevent Cuban Dissid...
- Cuba's Made Less Progress in Health Care and Educa...
- Doing Business With Devil Won't Free Cuba's Captiv...
- Obama’s Inept Defense of Human Rights in Cuba
- Obama's Not-so-Excellent Adventure in Cuba
- Must-Read: Trade With The Cuban People, Not Castro...
- Quote of the Week: In Cuba, There Are No Cuban Bus...
- Google's Cuba Deal Not What It Seems
- The Real "Cuban Market"
- Cuban Dissidents Left to Pay the Price for Obama's...
- Sen. Menendez: Obama's Cuba Visit Means Castros Wi...
- Obama Visit to Cuba Didn't Advance Liberty or Huma...
- Obama’s Legacy Will Be His Silence on Human Rights...
- Cuban Agents Brutalize Democracy Protesters After ...
- Obama Plays Small Ball in Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: Let Cuba's Citizens Speak!
- Obama Puts Off Cuba's Democratization
- ▼ 03/27 - 04/03 (22)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)