A Letter to the Editor of The Miami Herald:
The first duty of government is to protect its citizens. Opening a Cuban consulate in Miami-Dade will needlessly endanger the lives and security of South Florida residents and would be a failure of governance.
However, Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine and Commissioner Ricky Arriola, apparently ignoring this concern out of the belief that there are commercial opportunities in engaging the Cuban dictatorship, are advocating opening the consulate in Miami Beach.
Their highly publicized meeting in Cuba demonstrates why this is a bad idea. They met with Gustavo Machin Gomez, a “Cuban diplomat” who was expelled from the United States for his espionage activities and in 2012 was involved in the suspicious death of Cuban opposition leaders Oswaldo Payá and Harold Cepero.
A Cuban consulate in Miami-Dade would operate as an espionage center used to target Cuban exiles, American military facilities in the area, and other targets.
The U.S. government and the American and Cuban people would like to see an end to the Cold War, but unfortunately the regime in Cuba would like to see it continue as can be seen by it smuggling tons of weapons to North Korea in 2013 and through Colombia in 2015.
Ignoring this reality will only lead to tragedy for our community and our country.
04/03 - 04/10
- Must-Read: Carnival Discriminates Against Cuban-Am...
- As Predicted: Carnival's "Social Impact" = Support...
- Cuban-Americans Need Not Apply for Carnival's Crui...
- Castro's American Victims
- Why Did Google Succumb to Cuba's Censorship?
- Video: Cuban Dissidents Launch Protest at Capitol ...
- Cuba After Obama's Departure: What's Castro's Real...
- Lincoln and Marti Turned in Their Graves
- Over 1,416 Political Arrests in March, 498 During ...
- Must-Read: Castro Inc., Cuba as Family Business
- Political Arrests in Cuba Up 255% This Year
- Must-Read: Cuba's State-Run Human Trafficking Busi...
- Billionaire Restaurateur: Not Investing in Cuba Un...
- Cuban Consulate in Miami-Dade is a Bad Idea
- Cuba Must Embrace Rights, Reject Terror
- Obama's Cuban Disgrace
- Political Cartoon: Obama Does Wave With Cuban Diss...
- No Normalization With Cuba
- On Obama's Trip to Cuba: My Police State, My Teach...
- ▼ 04/03 - 04/10 (19)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)