The Castro regime arrested nearly 250 Cuban dissidents in protests throughout the island this past weekend.
In Havana, over 30 members of The Ladies in White and other activists were arrested as part of the weekly #TodosMarchamos (#WeAllMarch) campaign.
The Castro regime even cut off the water supply at The Ladies in White's headquarters in the Lawton neighborhood, in order to prevent them from gathering there.
Meanwhile, in the eastern provinces, nearly 200 members of the Cuban Patriotic Union (UNPACU) were arrested for peacefully protesting and demanding the release of political prisoners.
UNPACU's regional coordinator in Las Tunas, Alexis Cruz Guerrero, was handed an eight month prison term for refusing to pay arbitrary fines stemming from peaceful protests.
Also, Jacqueline Heredia Morales of The Ladies in White has been held for over one week at the Cuban secret police's facilities, known as the VIVAC in Havana. She has been on a huger strike throughout the week.
Other democracy activists, including Yosvani Sánchez Valenciano, Yunet Cairo Reigada, Xiomara de las Mercedes Cruz Miranda, Alberto Valle Pérez and Marieta Martínez Aguilera, also remain arbitrarily detained at the VIVAC since April 15th. They are all on hunger strike.
04/24 - 05/01
- Raul Castro's New "Excuse"
- Lifting Sanctions Towards Cuba Would Be a Bad Inve...
- Cuban-Americans Beware: Rights Disappear in Cuba
- Unscrupulous Companies That Love Cuba, Love Iran
- One-Year Later: Cuomo's Cuba Trip Produces Zero Ex...
- Russian Lawmakers Want to Deploy Rocket Systems in...
- Repression Clears Way for Hollywood Production -- ...
- Again, Embracing Tyrants Doesn't Raise Their Stand...
- The VII Cuban Party Congress -- A Reality Check
- Quote of the Week: Raul's Dauphin
- Obama’s Visit Increases Cuban People’s Pain
- Nearly 250 Political Arrests in Cuba Over the Week...
- WaPo Editorial: To Change Cuba, Focus on Freedom a...
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Editorial: Obama's Mess,...
- Richmond Times-Dispatch Editorial: Perils of Busin...
- Change In Cuba -- But Not For The Better
- Cuba, Obama and the Law of Unintended Consequences...
- Lawyers Not Ready to Drop Carnival Suit
- ▼ 04/24 - 05/01 (18)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)