From The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Editorial Board:
Obama's mess: Cuba's thanks
Weeks after President Obama's trumpeted visit to Cuba, the sour notes are still blaring from the communist isle.
The latest discord comes from Cuba's Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez, who called Mr. Obama's ill-advised fence-mending visit “an attack on the foundation of our history, our culture and our symbols,” Fox News Latino reports. To a regime locked in time and ideology, Obama's mission was nothing more than to “dazzle the non-state sector,” Mr. Rodriguez insisted.
President Raul Castro, who, incidentally, will retain Cuba's Communist Party's highest post for another five years, recently called the United States “the enemy” and warned Cubans to remain vigilant against U.S. initiatives that undermine the communist revolution, Reuters reported.
And that followed the vitriol of Fidel Castro, who, just days after Obama's sojourn, rejected the notion that his country needs anything from the U.S. and insisted that the U.S. embargo won't soon be forgiven.
So what has changed? Only that more Cubans are fleeing to the U.S. to escape their country's repressive government and claim asylum benefits, which they fear will run out as U.S. “detente” evolves.
Contrary to the administration's presumptions, the Castro regime — and its inevitable heirs — will never accept or respect U.S. capitalism and the freedom it enables. Chalk up another foreign policy fumble by an administration that's become renowned for dropping the ball.
at 10:43 AM Monday, April 25, 2016
04/24 - 05/01
- Raul Castro's New "Excuse"
- Lifting Sanctions Towards Cuba Would Be a Bad Inve...
- Cuban-Americans Beware: Rights Disappear in Cuba
- Unscrupulous Companies That Love Cuba, Love Iran
- One-Year Later: Cuomo's Cuba Trip Produces Zero Ex...
- Russian Lawmakers Want to Deploy Rocket Systems in...
- Repression Clears Way for Hollywood Production -- ...
- Again, Embracing Tyrants Doesn't Raise Their Stand...
- The VII Cuban Party Congress -- A Reality Check
- Quote of the Week: Raul's Dauphin
- Obama’s Visit Increases Cuban People’s Pain
- Nearly 250 Political Arrests in Cuba Over the Week...
- WaPo Editorial: To Change Cuba, Focus on Freedom a...
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Editorial: Obama's Mess,...
- Richmond Times-Dispatch Editorial: Perils of Busin...
- Change In Cuba -- But Not For The Better
- Cuba, Obama and the Law of Unintended Consequences...
- Lawyers Not Ready to Drop Carnival Suit
- ▼ 04/24 - 05/01 (18)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)