Report: Cuba's 'arbitrary' detentions up 255 percent this year
The Cuban Observatory on Human Rights has condemned the Castro regime for what it considers the "arbitrary detention" of more than 1,200 people in March, including hundreds who were detained during U.S. President Barack Obama's visit.
In March, there were 1,245 arbitrary detentions, made up of the arrests of 682 men and 563 women, the Cuban Observatory on Human Rights reported. The group defines arbitrary detentions as arrests made with a political motive.
Violence was used in at least 107 arrests. During Obama's visit from March 19 until March 22, at least 319 people were arrested -- 205 men and 114 women.
In March last year, there were 480 arrests -- meaning arrests increased about 159 percent this year.
This year there were 1,474 arrests in January and 1,176 arrests in February. Last year, there were 134 arrests in January and 483 in February.
So far this year there have been 3,895 arrests, a 255 percent increase over the same period last year. In total last year, there were 8,314 arrests -- meaning if the current trend continues, arrests this year would overtake last year's total by July.
04/03 - 04/10
- Must-Read: Carnival Discriminates Against Cuban-Am...
- As Predicted: Carnival's "Social Impact" = Support...
- Cuban-Americans Need Not Apply for Carnival's Crui...
- Castro's American Victims
- Why Did Google Succumb to Cuba's Censorship?
- Video: Cuban Dissidents Launch Protest at Capitol ...
- Cuba After Obama's Departure: What's Castro's Real...
- Lincoln and Marti Turned in Their Graves
- Over 1,416 Political Arrests in March, 498 During ...
- Must-Read: Castro Inc., Cuba as Family Business
- Political Arrests in Cuba Up 255% This Year
- Must-Read: Cuba's State-Run Human Trafficking Busi...
- Billionaire Restaurateur: Not Investing in Cuba Un...
- Cuban Consulate in Miami-Dade is a Bad Idea
- Cuba Must Embrace Rights, Reject Terror
- Obama's Cuban Disgrace
- Political Cartoon: Obama Does Wave With Cuban Diss...
- No Normalization With Cuba
- On Obama's Trip to Cuba: My Police State, My Teach...
- ▼ 04/03 - 04/10 (19)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)