From PanAm Post:
Cuban Police Raid Opposition Activists for Fourth Time in 2016
Authorities Seize Hardware and Documents Without Warrant
The Cuban police raided the national headquarters of the Patriotic Union of Cuba (Unpacu), a civil dissidence group in opposition to Raúl Castro’s administration.
Without giving explanation, security confiscated three computers, two cell phones, a hard drive, passports and other hardware and records.
Arcelio Molina, an activist and owner of the property, told the newspaper Martí Noticias that police also seized the luggage of the youth leader Carlos Amel Oliva Torres, who traveled from Santiago de Cuba to Havana to take a flight to Argentina.
According to Molina, Oliva can’t travel, and has since been arrested.
This is the fourth time this year that state security has raided and confiscated Unpacu’s equipment.
Molina added that what has transpired is a classic “trampling” of citizens’ rights in the country, “where there are no laws or respect for the constitution on the part of the authorities.”
This is not the only repressive measure implemented by the Cuban regime in recent years. On Tuesday, May 24, activist and leader of the Ladies in White group, Berta Soler found out she will be going on trial for "resisting arrest."
Soler could go to prison between three months and five years. She has been prohibited from leaving the country until the trial is held, and said she is “prepared to go to prison.”
Soler said there are videos showing she is innocent, which is why she is not afraid to go to jail. She went so far as to say that she hopes they “have a room reserved for her.”
05/29 - 06/05
- Former Cuban Prisoner: Human-Rights Violations Int...
- U.S. Subpoenas Huawei Over Dealings With Cuba, Syr...
- Obama's Cuba Policy Raises Further Security Concer...
- Cuba's Depraved Blood-Trafficking Business
- Tweet of the Day: Cuba's Post-Obama Chill
- U.S.-Cuba Relations: It Can't Just Be a Business D...
- Justice Should Not Evade Cuba's Military Dictators...
- WaPo Editorial: On U.S.-Cuba Military Cooperation,...
- Missouri Governor Literally Subsidizes Cuban Dicta...
- Cuban Soldiers in Business: A Bad Deal
- Must-Read: Obama's Human Rights Betrayal in Cuba
- Dr. Biscet: Obama's Embrace of Castro Weakens Caus...
- Cuban Police Raid Dissident Headquarters, Target L...
- ▼ 05/29 - 06/05 (13)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)