Excerpt from an interview with Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet, Cuban democracy leader, former Amnesty International prisoner of conscience and U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient, in Diario las Americas:
"I wasn't surprised by Barack Obama's decision, as he had been in favor of establishing relations with the Castro regime as a U.S. Senator. To do so though, the Administration had to violate the Helms-Burton law, which required that the Castro regime take steps towards democracy.
The United States, until the establishment of relations was announced, had greatly supported the cause of freedom in Cuba. It was a friend of our cause. Since the beginning of this dialogue with the Castro regime, some have felt abandoned. In my case, I have always believed in creating a united internal opposition force, independent of the solidarity of any foreign government. We think that anyone who believes in fundamental freedoms should support our cause, but it's not an obligation.
That Obama is now acting in concert with the Castros weakens the democratic spirit of the U.S. before the world and in the eyes of the Cuban people, for there is an intellectual awakening taking place in Cuba that goes well beyond economic necessities.
Obama’s embrace of Cuba's tyrant is seen by many as the U.S.'s abandonment of people seeking freedom."
at 11:58 AM Sunday, May 29, 2016
05/29 - 06/05
- Former Cuban Prisoner: Human-Rights Violations Int...
- U.S. Subpoenas Huawei Over Dealings With Cuba, Syr...
- Obama's Cuba Policy Raises Further Security Concer...
- Cuba's Depraved Blood-Trafficking Business
- Tweet of the Day: Cuba's Post-Obama Chill
- U.S.-Cuba Relations: It Can't Just Be a Business D...
- Justice Should Not Evade Cuba's Military Dictators...
- WaPo Editorial: On U.S.-Cuba Military Cooperation,...
- Missouri Governor Literally Subsidizes Cuban Dicta...
- Cuban Soldiers in Business: A Bad Deal
- Must-Read: Obama's Human Rights Betrayal in Cuba
- Dr. Biscet: Obama's Embrace of Castro Weakens Caus...
- Cuban Police Raid Dissident Headquarters, Target L...
- ▼ 05/29 - 06/05 (13)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)