From CBS Miami:
Born In America To Cuban Parents? Cuba Still Doesn’t See You As U.S. Citizen
The U.S. Embassy has highlighted some bizarre practices by the Cuban government that could trip up Cuban-American citizens traveling to the island nation.
According to the U.S. Embassy, “The Government of Cuba does not recognize the U.S. nationality of U.S. citizens who are Cuban-born or are the children of Cuban parents.”
Yes, you read that right. Cuba’s government will label you a full-blown Cuban even if you were born on U.S. soil.
U.S. officials said Cuba may even force you to enter and depart using a Cuban passport.
While doing so wouldn’t hinder your U.S. citizenship, you still need your U.S. passport to enter and depart the United States.
And therein lies another problem according to the U.S. Embassy.
“There have been cases of Cuban-American dual nationals being forced by the Cuban government to surrender their U.S. passports.”
The U.S. Embassy also says to be wary of Cuban authorities asking you to sign “repatriation” documents.
According to the U.S. Embassy, “Cuba views a declaration of repatriation as a legal statement on the part of the dual national that she/he intends to resettle permanently in Cuba.”
So in signing those documents there is a chance the Cuban government seizes your U.S. passport and denies you permission to return to the United States.
at 10:03 AM Saturday, May 7, 2016
05/01 - 05/08
- Note to Cuban-Americans (Even U.S. Citizens): You ...
- Ben Rhodes, Obama's Cuba (Iran) Policy & 'The Blob...
- Celebrities 'Too Cool' to Notice Cuba’s Repression...
- Understanding Obama's Fictional Cuba Policy
- The Real Losers in the Obama-Chanel-Kardashian Cub...
- Everything Wrong With Obama's Cuba Policy in Two I...
- While Obama's Celebrities (and Carnival) Distract,...
- Cuban Political Prisoner: 'Only Pressure Will Get ...
- Cuba's State-Run Human Trafficking Business, Pt. 2...
- New Cuban Political Prisoners: How Castro Has Game...
- Cuba Ranks Among 'Worst of the Worst' in Press Fre...
- Amidst Obama's Deals, Religious Freedom Deteriorat...
- As Predicted, Castro Keeps Reverting "Reforms"
- Cruising to Cuba Like its 1977
- Quote of the Week: Cuba is Not Changing
- Goodbye, Jaime Ortega
- Harvard Crimson: The Cost of Obama's Cuban Rapproc...
- Quote of the Day: Russia's Most Loyal Ally in West...
- Image of the Week: Keeping an Eye on The Ladies in...
- ▼ 05/01 - 05/08 (19)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)