The Inter-American Bar Association was recently forced to change the venue of its annual conference.
The note below to its members speaks for itself.
URGENT - 52nd IABA Conference - change of venue
I am writing to inform you that the 52nd Conference of the Inter-American Bar Association scheduled for June 20th to 24th, 2016, will be held in Miami, Florida, instead of Havana, Cuba.
The Executive Committee expresses its profound regret about the complications that this sudden and unexpected change of venue may cause.
The shift arises from the unilateral decision of the Cuban Organizing Committee (the National Association of Cuban Attorneys, the National Organization of Collective Law Offices, the Cuban Supreme Court, the Cuban Attorney General’s Office and the University of Havana Law School) to cancel the conference forty-five days from its scheduled date. By reneging on their word, these organizations have completely disregarded the economic impact and reputational damage to our Association.
During two days of intense negotiations with Cuba, we were met with utter inflexibility. Not only did our Cuban counterparts cancel the conference, they prohibited it from being held in the country.
Pursuant our organization’s by-laws, and as coordinated by our Treasurer, Vice-President, Secretary General and administrative office in Washington, D.C., this Executive Committee will form an Organizing Committee.
I would like to ensure you personally that we will hold our conference in Miami.
Anyone registered for the conference in Cuba is, for all intents and purposes, already registered for the conference in Miami.
We will reach out to you soon with additional details so that you may make your travel plans and hotel reservations.
For anyone experiencing difficulties in receiving a refund of already-incurred expenses, the IABA will appoint a person to offer the necessary assistance through individual casework.
Carlos López López
05/15 - 05/22
- Cuban and North Korean Special Forces in Venezuela...
- Congress Bans U.S.-Cuba Military 'Cooperation'
- Cuba, 'Law Enforcement Dialogue' and the Cop Murde...
- Why Obama's New Cuba Flights Pose Security Concern...
- Homeland Security Chair: Obama Placing Americans a...
- Obama Officials Not Being Forthright About Cuba Fl...
- TSA Subcommittee Chair Rips Obama on Cuba Flights
- Stick to the Facts on the Cuba "Travel Ban"
- Obama's Policy Leads to Largest Cuban Migration Cr...
- Head of Venezuela's National Assembly: Cuban Offic...
- Regional Lawyers Learn There's No 'Rule of Law' in...
- Castro Reverts (Yet Another) "Reform"
- Jorge Perez: Cuba Threw Bucket of Cold Water
- Forget Cuba, 'Pyonghattan' is Where It's Happening...
- Ponder These Images Carefully: The Human Cost of F...
- Cuba-Disneyland and Its Leftist Pimps
- Cuba: A Revolution With Promises to Keep
- ▼ 05/15 - 05/22 (17)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)