Yesterday, the AP's Havana bureau reported that the Castro regime was going to legalize "private business" in Cuba.
As we posted yesterday, it was a recognition that there is currently no "private business" in Cuba -- despite the Obama Administration's narrative over the last few years.
But reports that Castro is now going to legalize "private business" were also grossly exaggerated.
It was either the result of the AP's over-zealousness, sloppiness, poor Spanish or Ben Rhodes' "echo chamber."
The fine print of the Communist Party document cited by the AP makes clear that the legalization of small- and medium-sized business is not something being currently considered by the Castro regime.
Instead, the document (with goals for the year 2030) states that it's a "project" that may be considered in "a future society to which we aspire."
In other words, in 2030.
Moreover, that the current text is "generalizing, with the purpose of conceptualizing future aspirations, once the Model has been updated."
(14ymedio has more details -- in Spanish.)
That's Communist talk for never -- akin to Lenin's stages of revolution.
(He too had his "useful idiots").
Let's see whether AP has the journalistic integrity to correct its story.
at 10:19 PM Wednesday, May 25, 2016
05/22 - 05/29
- Reports That Castro is Legalizing 'Private Busines...
- Tweet of the Day: Cubans Increasingly Desperate to...
- A Cuban Dissident’s Plea: Don’t Abandon Us
- North Korea's Clandestine Operations Chief Visits ...
- Finally, the Truth: There Are No Private Businesse...
- Quote of the Day: Economic Crumbs for the Cuban Pe...
- Obama's Moral Lapse in Cuba, Vietnam, Et al.
- Cuba's Ladies in White Leader to be Tried for 'Res...
- Like With Iran, Obama's Lobbyists Peddle Cuba Narr...
- Senior U.S. Diplomat Urges Caution in 'Dialogue' W...
- Political Prisoner Re-Arrested After Obama-Castro ...
- Ponder Image: Four Female Cuban Political Prisoner...
- Why Your Tourism Dollars Aren’t Helping Ordinary C...
- Cuba's 'MININT Papers' Implicate Academics, Busine...
- Quote of the Week: Cuba is Not a Safari
- Must-Read: The Magnitude of Cuban Repression
- ▼ 05/22 - 05/29 (16)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)