To truly understand President Obama's Cuba policy, it's imperative to read this disturbing New York Times profile of his Deputy National Security Adviser (and alter-ego), Ben Rhodes.
Rhodes is the architect of Obama's Cuba and Iran policy, which use the exact same playbook.
Both policies are literally a figment of Rhodes' imagination, who is a former fiction writer with no foreign policy experience. They are void of reality (repressive nature of these regimes), ignore key facts (totalitarian apparatus) and peddle false narratives (moderates vs. hardliners).
These dangerously deceptive policies -- full of campaign-style spin -- were peddled by Rhodes through manufactured "echo chambers" that sold hacks to inexperienced journalists as "experts".
These inexperienced journalists, who Rhodes (apparently disdains) and brags "literally know nothing", then proceed to "say things that validated what we had given them to say."
Rhodes also flippantly dismisses any opposing views.
It's no wonder that the crowning achievement of Obama's Cuba policy seems to be an upcoming episode of Keeping Up With Kardashians.
Meanwhile, in Cuba, political repression is at a historic high, a new emigration crisis has unfolded, religious persecution has intensified, nepotism is taking hold and military monopolies are enjoying a bonanza.
Because none of these consequences were thought through in advance -- and with their manipulation of the media, they figured no one would notice.
The sad part is that the victims -- both in Cuba and Iran -- are real people, not characters in a fiction novel.
Again, read this New York Times profile.
05/01 - 05/08
- Note to Cuban-Americans (Even U.S. Citizens): You ...
- Ben Rhodes, Obama's Cuba (Iran) Policy & 'The Blob...
- Celebrities 'Too Cool' to Notice Cuba’s Repression...
- Understanding Obama's Fictional Cuba Policy
- The Real Losers in the Obama-Chanel-Kardashian Cub...
- Everything Wrong With Obama's Cuba Policy in Two I...
- While Obama's Celebrities (and Carnival) Distract,...
- Cuban Political Prisoner: 'Only Pressure Will Get ...
- Cuba's State-Run Human Trafficking Business, Pt. 2...
- New Cuban Political Prisoners: How Castro Has Game...
- Cuba Ranks Among 'Worst of the Worst' in Press Fre...
- Amidst Obama's Deals, Religious Freedom Deteriorat...
- As Predicted, Castro Keeps Reverting "Reforms"
- Cruising to Cuba Like its 1977
- Quote of the Week: Cuba is Not Changing
- Goodbye, Jaime Ortega
- Harvard Crimson: The Cost of Obama's Cuban Rapproc...
- Quote of the Day: Russia's Most Loyal Ally in West...
- Image of the Week: Keeping an Eye on The Ladies in...
- ▼ 05/01 - 05/08 (19)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)