Since December 2014, President Obama has repeatedly said the purpose of his new policy was to "empower the Cuban people" and "promote their independence from the Cuban authorities."
That is a lie.
This week, the agreement between the U.S.-based hotel company, Starwood, and the Cuban military's tourism entity, Gaviota, was consummated.
Under the deal, Starwood will manage the Hotel Quinta Avenida in Havana for the Cuban military.
First and foremost, this arrangement is clearly inconsistent with U.S. law -- it's illegal and should be challenged as such.
Moreover, it proves Obama has not been forthcoming.
Allowing U.S. companies to partner directly with the most repressive security apparatus in the Western Hemisphere neither "empowers the Cuban people," nor "promotes their independence from the Cuban authorities."
It's simply repulsive.
Obama claims his Cuba policy shows the "Cold War is over" -- yet his policy harkens back to the darkest days of the Cold War, when the United States partnered with repressive regimes throughout the hemisphere.
There is no place for such immoral arrangements in the 21st century.
Adding insult to injury, the head of public relations for Starwood called the hotel -- "a symbol of brotherhood and collaboration."
With the Cuban military, that is.
The Obama Administration is bringing shame to the American flag by allowing it placed side-by-side with the flag of the Cuban-military's cash-cow, Gaviota.
It is making the United States directly complicit with the repression of the Cuban people.
06/26 - 07/03
- Must-Read: Buyer's Remorse on Obama's Cuba Policy
- WaPo: Oscar Biscet, a Cuban Doctor Who Remains Def...
- Why Obama Wouldn't Meet With Cuba's Dr. Biscet
- Lifting Cuba Sanctions Betrays Alabama's Values
- From California: Thinking about a vacation in Cuba...
- Carlos Beruff's Cuban 'Cuento' (Fairy-Tale)
- Major Law Firms Agree: Stonegate Bank's (Cuba) Cre...
- Obama's Lie, Starwood's Ignominy
- Riddle Me This: 80% of Cuba's 'Self-Employed' Join...
- Obama's Cuba Policy: Celebrity Distractions, Secur...
- ▼ 06/26 - 07/03 (10)
- ► 2015 (1080)
- ► 2014 (1177)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)